𝟎𝟗𝟔

"𝙰𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚜"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕥𝕨𝕠 𝕕𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘶

tw: violence, blood, gun/gunshots

     NOAH'S LEG SHAKES as she anxiously sits in her seat outside of Section Chief Erin Strauss' office.  She bites on her lips, tearing the skin off of them until she tastes blood.  It was only two days ago that Noah had seen Haley's dead body.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Emily asks as she eyes her daughter that is sitting beside her.

"If it helps Hotch, then yes," Noah replies, her eyes glued to the wall across from them.

"You don't have to, honey," Emily reminds her, "The team's interviews should be enough—"

"We don't know that," Noah asserts as she turns to look at her mother.

"Noah—"

"I wanna do it," Noah repeats, "For Hotch and Jack but especially Haley.  Other than him...I was the last person to see her alive."

"I understand," Emily nods, "But don't let her push you.  Speak on your own time, do you hear me?" The mother asks as she holds her daughter's chin up, forcing Noah to look her in the eye.

"Yes," Noah mutters.

"Okay," Emily replies, satisfied with her daughter's response.

Noah sits nervously in her spot.  She can feel her heart pounding and can practically see it pumping out of her chest.  Her breaths are short and her mouth is dry.  She turns to look at Emily once more, suddenly leaning her head on her mother's shoulder.

"I'm nervous," The teen whispers.

"I know," Emily coos as she wraps her arms around Noah.  She holds on tightly, knowing it will help prevent her from having a panic attack.  The teen sinks into the softness of her mother's cashmere sweater.

Suddenly, the office door opens and Anderson steps out.

"They're ready for you," He says and nods towards Noah.  The teen stands and peers down at Emily, who flashes her a small smile.

As Noah goes to walk into the office, Spencer walks out.  He shows a tight-lipped smile and puts his hand on her shoulder to comfort her.  He knows he cannot warn her about anything or say any comfort, not wanting it to come off as them communicating about the case.

Noah walks inside and sees a large conference table.  Sitting in the middle on one side of the table is Erin Strauss.  She gestures towards the seat across from hers and Noah goes to sit down.  There is a tape recorder in the middle of the table, which Emily told Noah was going to be there.

"Ms. Prentiss, how are you?" Erin asks the teen.

"I'm fine," Noah replies.

"Are you ready?"

"No," Noah answers but nods towards the recorder.  Erin starts the tape, Noah taking a deep breath as she gathers her thoughts and collects her bundles of nerves.

"Please say your name, age, and relation to the case for the record," Strauss begins as she pulls out the files for the case.

"Noah Prentiss, fifteen.  My mother works for the BAU and I know all of the agents on a personal level, including Agent Hotchner."

She takes another deep breath.

"And I was in the house where Haley Hotchner was murdered."

"Ms. Prentiss, do you understand that you are the only witness other than Jack Hotchner that we have to describe what happened on that day?" Erin questions the teen.