Chapter 16

Isabella went back to the Leaky Cauldron in a couple of hours and before she entered the bar through the back exit, she pulled out the spare change from her pockets and placed them in her handkerchief. 

She didn't think the Ministry of Magic would be tipped off. She could manage it.

She held her palm open over the handful of coins a few notes and whispered, "Geminio,"

There was no flash or light, or anything, and the objects in her hand stayed the same for a few seconds. 

She stared at them for a few more seconds, then touched a coin. Immediately an identical copy jumped out.

Isabella had to wrap them carefully in her handkerchief, without touching them anymore. She didn't want to be found covered in a mountain of muggle coins near the entrance of Diagon Alley.

She slunk back into Leaky Cauldron and hurried out onto the busy muggle streets of London. 

Isabella reached the library, she entered through the back entrance and hurriedly placed the books she had left open back into their places and rushed towards the entrance.

"Ah, just in time," Mrs Smith said when she saw her. "I thought I'd have to go looking for you. It's closing time, deary,"

"Sorry," Isabella said hurriedly. "I just lost track of time,"

"Was it an interesting book?" Mrs Smith smiled, taking the keys of the library from the chest of drawers under the counter.

"Oh, yes," Isabella nodded serenely. "Very. Goodbye, Mrs Smith,"

"Goodbye, Bella dear," Mrs Smith said brightly.

When Isabella reached her house, she didn't see her father at the shop downstairs. Their shop usually stayed up late, but today it was closed early. The sky was still a light purple and the stars had just started to bloom.

She went upstairs and straight to her room.

To her surprise, she saw her trunk lying there. It was taken away a week ago from her. 

"Oh, dear," she muttered. Things were going faster than she had expected. 

She had to hide her money first. Isabella had a spare pillowcase, which was pushed somewhere into the back of her cupboard, she was going to hide them there.

After she locked the cupboard and checked if anything looked too obvious, she went out into the kitchen to talk to her father.

"Dad," she said standing at the doorway. "You brought my trunk back,"

Mr Jefferson sighed and turned around from the stove, on which a pot was bubbling away.

"Izzy, come here," he said extending his arms for a hug. Isabella obliged. 

"I'm so sorry, Izzy," he said kissing the top of her head. "I've been so terrible for the past week. I just realised what I was doing was wrong. I was behaving exactly like my father,"

"It wasn't circumstances that made me run away," he said. "It was the iron fist he held over me. I should never have done that, Izzy, I'm so sorry,"

Isabella closed her eyes, as guilt crept in. 

She had expected her father to stay mad at her for a few more days, and then she would convince him to let her go to Diagon Alley, but this was all happening too fast. Her plan was falling to shambles.