Chapter 66

She could hear the vague sound of a train in the distance and what seemed to be hushed chatter. 

"She has a grave illness," said a very familiar voice. "I told her. The likes of it have never been seen before,"

"Yes, Sybill, would you mind getting some freshwater? Ask Tom downstairs,"

"Oh," Sybill said disappointed. "Yes, yes. Certainly,"

And Isabella heard the shuffling of feet and then Sybill's footsteps walking away, the jingle of beads that always accompanied her faded away. 

Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up with a groan. 

It took her a while to recognize where she was. She was in the room she had rented for that summer in the Leaky Cauldron. 

Professor Dumbledore was sitting by her bedside in a chair, the other empty one seemed to have been occupied by Sybill a few moments ago.

"Professor," Isabella said as all the memories of the previous event rushed in. 

"What exactly happened?"

"The casket," Dumbledore nodded to the bedside table where the metal box sat looking as innocent as ever. 

"Was likely cursed,"

Isabella looked away from the box to Dumbledore. 

"I still cannot touch it without inflicting injuries on myself," he said. "The longer I stay in contact with it, the more previous the injuries are. The casket reacts in a similar way to Sybill's touch, or anyone who is not you,"

"Only I can touch it?" Isabella said with a frown.

"It would seem so," Dumbledore nodded. "But it had taken its toll on you too. The curse is one of which I have not heard of,"

"Can you help me fill in a few parts?" Isabella said as she clutched her head which was throbbing madly with pain.

"We went down that alley and when I touched the brick wall, the box appeared?"

"Yes," Dumbledore said. "There were slight tremors. Even the muggles felt it and they have concluded as a minor earthquake, which thankfully didn't cause any lasting damages,"

"And then I reached out for the box. What happened when I touched it?" Isabella asked.

"At first, it seemed like it was nothing," Dumbledore told her. "But when you stood rooted to the spot, for more than what I would consider a shock, I tried calling you. I never got a response,"

"You didn't hear anything?" Isabella said, sitting straighter.

"Hear?" Dumbledore asked.

Isabella nodded frantically. "There was a voice, did you not hear it?"

"I suppose it was a part of the curse too," Dumbledore said. "Anything related to the casket," he gestured to the box on the bedside table

"Can be comprehended by anyone but you,"

Isabella closed her eyes and buried her face in her hands. 

"And then?" she muttered.

"Then, you turned around," Dumbledore said simply. "The box in your hands, and a second later, passed out. I brought you back here. It took you a few hours to come around again. Sybill saw me bringing you up here and decided to tag along,"

Isabella took a deep breath and slid off the bed. 

"I would suggest you stay in bed," Dumbledore said.