Chapter 18

When Isabella crossed the barrier to platform nine and three quarters, she was met with an almost empty station.

Well, what else did she expect. She was early for this very reason after all. It was just a quarter past ten.

The Hogwarts Express was there, but not a person except her to be seen.

Extremely pleased with herself, Isabella dragged her trunk to the train and heaved it up. She should find a compartment near one of the doors, and at the back of the train, because people are usually too lazy to walk all the way to the back. 

Isabella found a compartment for herself in the back, and slid the door shut and drew the curtains. 

Once the train started, she would be able to put a charm and then enjoy the journey peacefully. 

She pulled out one of her new textbooks and leaned across the seat, making herself comfortable, and then went to reading. 

Around half-past ten, the platform started to get noisy as people arrived. Families kissing their children goodbye, talking merrily, cats mewing, owls hooting loudly. 

Another fifteen minutes and the racket was huge. Isabella didn't even have the heart to look outside the window. She was sure it would be extremely crowded. 

She got up from her seat and stretched for a while before sitting down again. She had better go over her plan once again.

Once the train started moving, she would cast a charm on her compartment and hope with all her heart that it works and keep away everyone else from her place. And at around noon, when the lunch trolley would be making its rounds, she would lift the charm and buy some sweets, then place the charm back again and then enjoy the glorious peace.

She pulled her wand out and waited.

The time ticked by, from 10:45 to 10:55 to 11:00.
The train gave a lurch and the shrill whistle blew loudly over the crowded platform. All the doors began shutting themselves and Isabella readied herself.

She pointed her wand at the compartment door, concentrating on the spell and waved her wand.

The door gave out a soft yellow glow and then went back to normal. 

Now she could only hope.

To her extreme elation, the train started moving and not one person came anywhere near her compartment.

Isabella gave a little laugh and propped up her legs across the entire seat and levitated her book in front of her face, reading. 

Her spell worked like a charm, and she was left undisturbed for most of the morning, until she heard her stomach growl and realised that it was lunchtime.

Isabella did have the sandwiches she made with her father that morning, it was in her trunk. She could have that now and buy something sweet and filling when the lunch trolley came along.

When the lunch trolley came by her compartment, she had to slide the door open. 

An explosion of noise met her ears.

Seems like the compartment opposite hers was the mischief-makers' permanent place.

"Anything from the trolley, dear?" the old lady said kindly.

"Hey!" Sirius waved from the other compartment. "Jefferson, we keep running into each other, eh?"

He grinned at her and then closed their compartment door, which Isabella was thankful for. She hadn't mentally prepared herself to interact with anyone, expect for the lunch lady.