Chapter 50

Isabella was distracted throughout Defence Against Dark Arts, and nothing about Grindylows entered her head. She simply couldn't stop staring at Black who was sitting in the front of the class.

He would die like that. . .But how did he get himself into that situations? 

He was just eighteen that too!

Isabella's pencil scratched over the page, as she thought about him. 

How would he behave if he knew that he was going to die within a few years? . . .James would also die soon after, so would Lily and Peter, most likely. . .And there were dementors after Sirius in the future. . .How many more people would perish?

Was there anything she could do to stop it?

Tell Dumbledore, the answer came to her easily. 

Right. She should tell him. She'd tell him this Saturday when the match was going on. 

So on Saturday, Isabella rushed through the empty corridors of the castle to the Headmaster's office. 

"Acid pops," she told the gargoyle which jumped aside, letting her take the spiralling staircase up to the door to Dumbledore's office.

She knocked on the door and in a few seconds she got the answer.

"Enter," Dumbledore said.

Isabella pushed the door open and entered the circular room. 

"Good morning, professor," she said. 

"Miss Jefferson," Dumbledore said pleasantly putting his quill down. "Is this something urgent? I was under the impression that you have a Quidditch match at the moment,"

"I was there," Isabella said as she took the chair Dumbledore had gestured her to. 

"I've just been back,"

"Ah," Dumbledore said, then chuckled. "I do not think Minerva would be too pleased to know this,"

"It was important," Isabella said. "I wanted to make sure that the castle would be empty,"

She had used the time-turner after her match and had run up to  Dumbledore's office. She didn't necessarily have to use the time-turner. It was a whimsical decision. 

"What is so secretive?" Dumbledore said sitting straighter in his chair and bringing the tips of his long fingers together. 

"I've come to tell you, Headmaster," Isabella said. "That I'll do everything in my power to help you,"

Dumbledore smiled at her. 

"Thank you, Miss Jefferson," he said. "It won't be in vain. But maybe I know what led you up to this decision?"

"I've seen things," she said shortly. "There is something else too. I know Voldemort's little secret," 

Isabella stared at Dumbledore, her gaze unwavering. 

"A Horcrux," she said finally. "Riddle made his diary a Horcrux when he was sixteen. He is chasing immortality,"

Dumbledore fell silent. And Isabella took this opportunity to look around the room. Her eyes fell on the red and golden phoenix that sat on his perch. Fawkes was his name and he played an important part in Voldemort's defeat and Harry Potter's survival.

"How do you know about Horcruxes, Miss Jefferson?" Dumbledore asked seriously.

"I read about them," Isabella answered promptly. "Secrets of the Darkest Arts,"