Chapter 38

Isabella didn't have much to look forward to during the last few months of the school year, except for exams and the Quidditch finals. 

After her fall from her broomstick, McLaggen seemed to be more careful. He still trained the team hard, but it was rather obvious that he stopped pressuring her. 

Isabella felt guilty every time this happened. That little accident wasn't the team's fault but they seemed to go out of their way to make sure she was alright. And this was very unnerving for Isabella. 

She found herself trapped in the company of the others way too often than she would like. 

Isabella tried her very best to find an opening to escape, but it seemed almost impossible. She knew it was only time before she snapped. Isabella was good at masking her emotions and finding another outlet for them, but right now she was being deprived of an opportunity to find the other outlet. 

Isabella had snapped just once before, and she never wanted it to happen again. It left a lot of people hurt and she didn't want to be a burden on anyone. 

McLaggen blew his whistle loudly, getting everyone's attention. 

"Potter!" he barked. "If you love the Quaffle so much, just take it home!"

Oh, dear. McLaggen wasn't in a good mood. The upcoming match was taking a toll on him. 

"You pass the Quaffle around!" McLaggen was yelling. "You have two other Chasers. It's not an individual game, you play it as a team! Understood,"

"Yes, Captain," James said brightly, as though he knew why McLaggen was so frustrated and he didn't want to add to his stress. 

James was a very compassionate person, Isabella observed. He did this very often, he took it upon himself to act as the stress reliever for everyone. . .Except Lily. 

James must really like Lily because he acts like a complete idiot around her and it only annoyed Lily more. If only James would act more like himself in front of her, she might soften up to him. 

"Good. Black, Browne," McLaggen continued. "Ravenclaw focuses more on defence. I want you to brush up your skills, we are going full-on offence,"

"Okay," Arthur shrugged. Sirius nodded along. 

Isabella didn't really agree with this. She felt that if both teams focused on defence, the damage would be lesser and no one would get hurt. . .But then again, this was a game and there must be one winner. 

"McKinnon, Longbottom," McLaggen said. "Stop passing the Quaffle too often, and don't try to pass for longer distances. Ravenclaw's got excellent Chasers,"

Marlene, who lay flat on her broom, tired from that day's practice, gave a weak thumbs-up.

"Jefferson," McLaggen said, finally turning to the team's Seeker. ". . .Don't fall off your broom tomorrow. And rest up good,"

Isabella nodded with a soft sigh. She didn't know what she was supposed to do to convince them that she was fine and that it was just a one-time thing?!

Oh, well, she was going to catch the Snitch within the first thirty minutes of the game, and show them that she was perfectly fine and they ought to worry about themselves. . . Although, maybe she shouldn't catch it too fast. Only after Gryffindor was fifty points up. Otherwise, Slytherin would still be in the lead for the Cup. 

The twenty-third of May dawned with bright skies and soft breezes. 

Isabella was up before anyone else and went down to the empty common room and sat down in an armchair in front of the dying fire.