Chapter 40

The doors to the hospital wing flew open with a loud bang. 

Madam Pomfrey ran out from her office to see what all the ruckus was about. In ran a little girl, panting, tears welled up in her eyes.

"Madam Pomfrey," Isabella managed to gasp. She had run all the way from the Gryffindor common room to the Hospital wing and she was in a very tight spot at the moment. 

"I can't sleep," she said. 

"Well, you should try to relax," Madam Pomfrey said, slightly concerned about Isabella's behaviour. 

"It is just the exam stress. Don't worry. Have tried reading a book until you fall asleep?" Madam Pomfrey said kindly.

But Isabella wasn't in a mood for listening. Time was ticking by and she had to fall asleep as soon as possible. She didn't have time to waste, she couldn't afford a nice little chat.

"Madam Pomfrey, please!" Isabella cried. "I really need your help. I can't sleep at all. And I need to sleep,"

Madam Pomfrey sighed and helped her towards a bed and pushed her down. 

"Sit down and relax, dear," she said comfortingly.

"No! You don't get it!"Isabella cried, tears of frustration streaming down her face. 

"My head is hurting so badly, I simply cannot sleep! Madam Pomfrey, you gave me something for pain relief or something when I came here after falling off my broom," she said hurriedly. "Can you give me that again?"

"My dear, that is for intense pain relief," Madam Pomfrey said. "You had broken so many bones, I had to give you that. I possibly cannot administer the potion for a headache,"

"It is not just a headache!" Isabella yelled. "I'm ready to jump off the window and break a few bones just so that I can get that. My head hurts so much. I don't think I can bear it anymore!"

Isabella jumped to her feet and rushed to the nearest window, throwing it open. 

"Dear Merlin!" Madam Pomfrey cried and dragged her back to the bed. 

"Good child!— Alright, alright," Madam Pomfrey said alarmed when Isabella broke down completely.

Madam Pomfrey hurried away. 

The matron was under the impression that Isabella was crying because of the pain. 

But Isabella was crying out of frustration. And she did go out of her way to bring more tears to her eyes. If pretending was what it took to get what she wanted, then that's what she was doing. 

As long as she got the desired results.

She couldn't afford to lose even a second. Who knows, she might miss something very important in the time she lost. 

"Here," Madam Pomfrey shuffled back. 

Isabella got back into bed and took the flask from the matron's hands and downed it in one go. Then she fell back on the bed and closed her eyes, hoping she'd fall asleep quickly.

"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," said Riddle. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you."

"Look," said Harry, losing patience, "I don't think you get it. We're in the Chamber of Secrets. We can talk later —"

"We're going to talk now," said Riddle, still smiling broadly, and he pocketed Harry's wand.