Chapter 124

The rest of the month, Isabella had assigned them some work. Lily was supposed to work on the Polyjuice potion with Regulus. James and Sirius, they were good in Potions, but not as good as the other two, would work on what Isabella called 'Explosives'. 

"In case there is an emergency and you need to escape," she had said. 

Meanwhile, Isabella herself was working on making the Felix Felicis. It would take a very long time, so it was best that she started out that very moment. 

Remus was set to practising the Patronus charm and the defensive spells because he was best at it. 

Peter was put up for the minor, but effective hexes and jinxes along with Occulmency.

"Out of all of us," she had said. "Peter and Black are most likely to do well in Occlumency. Because to shut off your mind to the outside, you must be able to keep your emotions in check. Gryffindors usually tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves, but Peter can do it both ways. It is a major advantage,"

Peter had flushed slightly at this and set to work, hard.

Regulus had only scoffed lightly. 

He didn't trust her one bit anymore, and Isabella was just as distant. 

Something Isabella showed them amazed all of them. It was using the most simple, mundane spells in a duel. 

Who would think of using 'Lumos Maxima' in a duel? But Isabella had gone on to telling that the bright light could be used to temporarily block the vision of the opponent and take them off guard, giving the others an advantage.

Regulus had to admit that she had pretty creative, and effective ways of using magic. And he had seen her using a few spells. 

It was the simplest ones, the banishing charm she performed had flung the cushion so hard into the wall, that it torn at the hems and the feathers tumbled out. Her disarming charm blasted the practice dummy into smithereens. 

If she could do all this, why the hell did she go around saying that she needed them. He had never seen anyone that good with a wand. 

The only spell she couldn't perform was the Patronus charm. And Regulus took great joy in this. 

No matter how hard she tried, all she would get was a feeble wisp of silver which vanished almost instantly. 

"I've heard that evil wizards simply can't produce a Patronus," Regulus said loftily.

"You are right," Jefferson had nodded. "The Death Eaters have never been able to produce one. But that is because they have never tried. But Voldemort certainly cannot. To cast a Patronus you need the purest form of magic from within you,"

"Riddle's soul is tainted, shattered and filled with evil," she said. "He cannot, no matter how hard he tries, produce a Patronus,"

"Regulus, have you tried to conjure a Patronus?" Sirius asked. "Mine's a dog. James' got a stag. Remus', a wolf, Peter a rat and Lily's got a doe. . .What 'bout you?"

"I've never tried it," Regulus said. 

"You should," Potter said. "It makes you feel simply wonderful,"

"Izzy, I think you should try a bit more," Lupin said kindly. "Want to practice with me?"

"I don't think I have a powerful enough memory," Jefferson said. "I cannot remember, or come up with something that fills me with inexpressible joy,"

"Or you're just plain psychotic," Regulus said, disguising it as a cough.

Isabella was working them hard, but she never let them in on the plan. She always said that she would tell them when the time was right.