Chapter 138

There had been a certain amount of excitement earlier when the sixth had come back from dinner to find a new sign on the notice board that announced the date for their Apparition Test. Those who would be seventeen on or before the first test date, the twenty-first of April, had the option of signing up for additional practise sessions, which would take place in Hogsmeade.

Isabella didn't need them so she didn't bother with it. 

She had to be very careful these days, using the secret passages very often. Ever since the last match, it seemed that people recognized her rather quickly. And Isabella didn't have any intention of continuing the conversations they would start. So she found ways to escape. 

She had thought that the Apparition test would be the only thing that would be exciting any time soon.

But she was proven so wrong. 

Isabella had gone to bed late one Thursday, after working on Valerie's entries for the Prophet and the Witch Weekely. And she had to fuel herself by thinking of the money and by writing to Tom all night. 

In the morning, Isabella had a pricing headache, and she had barely managed to drag herself out of her dormitory when Turner ran into her in the common room. 

"McGonagall's gathering all the prefects," he said to her hurriedly.

"The prefects?" Isabella said. "Why this early in the morning?" 

"I dunno," Turner shrugged. "James looked grim. And James never looks grim. Something's really wrong,"

Isabella let out a soft sigh. She was thinking of having a nice morning coffee before starting her classes, and here she was given something else to do. 

Fine, then. McGonagall's office it is. If anything, she could always just use the time-turner to go have a peaceful breakfast.

As Turner pushed the door to McGonagall's door open, they heard James' and Lily's voices flow out.

"But it is important, professor!" James was saying. 

"We can't just dismiss it like that!" Lily cried in agreement.

"The Headmaster will decide how to deal with this, Mr Potter, Miss Evans," McGonagall said sharply. 

"I appreciate your concern—"

"Professor, it was just a cat this time. What is to say it won't be a student next?" James yelled. "And what if it even kills someone?"

"The victims are only getting petrified," McGonagall said. "Or, so we know so far. Mr Turner, Miss Jefferson. If you would get in and close the door behind you," she said noticing them at the door.

When they saw her, James and Lily cried, "Izzy!"

"You've got to see this!" Lily said frantically, hurrying over to her side. "We should tell Dumbledore. It must—"

Lily's eyes went wide, as her tongue rolled back. 

Ah, right. The jinx. They couldn't talk about it outside the Room of Requirement's protection. 

Even Isabella didn't show the slightest inclinations of knowing the truth. She seemed mildly confused mixed with curiosity. 

"What is it, professor?" Turner asked. 

"Second floor," a new fifth-year prefect said. "Near the broken girls' toilets. Saw it just this morning,"

"Saw what?" Turner pressed.