Moving into a future but frozen in her past

It had been an hour since I landed in New York. After several wasted efforts to flag a cab I decided I would walk to my dorms. As I strolled down the New York city streets it smelled of exhaust from the cars in traffic beside me, the subway rumbled beneath my feet and the streets were filled with coworkers babbling to each other about their days. I gripped my bag each time someone walked to close. I'm not one to particularly enjoy being around people. I've learned that there all asses in the end. They come into your life and leave as they please. Relationships aren't my thing. Attachment to another is useless it's all pain in the end. I finally made it to my building. Walking through crowds of newcomers I found my name and mumbled "32a...great...stairs" just as I collected my keys a girl bumped into me I felt her presence next to me lingering as if she needed to speak with me. I turned to face her she had long brown hair and green eyes without warning she spoke out "Hi I couldn't help but overhear your room number, your my roommate! I'm Ivy" the girl extended her hand. I gave her hand a quick shake and put my hands by my side and rubbed my finger pads with my thumb "I'm Freya" I mumbled. The girl smiled, I studied her quickly learning she had anxiety because her nails were bitten, she liked people though so it's most likely stress induced. She probably wants to study something ecological given the pins on her bag. "do you want to go up with me?" She breaks my concentration "hun?" She laughs to the dorm "oh yeah sure". We walk up to our room and open it. It's nice we have our own spaces. It's got two beds and two desks and a bathroom to the left.

Ivy takes the bed on the left and I take the one on the right

Ivy takes the bed on the left and I take the one on the right. She plops her things down on the bed and I put my stuff on the desk. "I'm going to call my family. Tell them I made it here safe" I force a smile "ok". Ivy walks out of the room leaving me to myself. I open my computer and check my class list. It's set up nice. Tuesday and Thursday I have 2 classes and classes in the afternoon on Monday and Wednesday. Friday I have Russian at 9am. That's gonna be hell to wake up to. Just as I'm beginning to finish Ivy bursts through the door I jump and slam my computer shut she closes the door slowly "I'm sorry did I scare you" I release my breath which I had held from the scare "no I'm ok" she looks at me "are you sure?" I give a polite smile "yeah". Ivy goes and lays on her bed. I look at her "how was your call?" I figured that if I'll be living with her I should be comfortable with her so I tried to make small talk. She looks up at me "good thank you. How was yours?" I look down. Dammit this is what I get for trying to make small talk, I look back up at her "I just checked my classes that's all" she frowns "do you want me to leave so you can call them?" I rub the creases in my palm "no thanks it's ok". Ivy looked down "ok" she went back to playing on her phone. Instantly my mind flooded with thoughts. I lost myself in my own world. Normally it didn't hurt, Being asked about family and all. But this one hurt. She had someone to call, to tell that she was safe. The glow in her eyes when she came back. Sometimes I wish I had that but I don't. Ivy broke my train of thought once again "there's a meet and greet at the gymnasium are you coming?" I look up at her "oh..no thanks I'll stay here" Ivy grabs her bag "suit yourself" she walks out the door. I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling. Did I make a mistake? Should I really have gotten a roommate? Who am I kidding I can't afford an apartment. This was my only choice. I decide to go to sleep just so I can stop thinking about it all.

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. IT WILL GET INTERESTING. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR IDEAS