Chapter 2

Days have passed and my dad has kept his word. Not a thing about me joining the mafia and running the business has been mentioned, by either him or Diego, and I'm happy about it. It doesn't really mean I convinced him, it just means I bought myself some time until I'm able to support myself or my dad really gets the hint that I don't want to be a mob boss.

I get up early today and jump in the shower. I dress in the most professional outfit I find and also do my hair and make up. I have a job interview today. After high school, I went to a private university where I was able to get my degree in business administration within a year. I've been applying to places for a while now but every time I show up I get the same answer, "you're not qualified for the position," "you have no experience," "sorry, you're not what you're looking for." I have a feeling this is my dad's doing, but I haven't tried to find out because I don't want to be disappointed. But for this interview, I have a good feeling, plus I didn't tell anyone, not even Diego, so there's no way for my dad to find out.

I got downstairs and find dad and Diego eating breakfast together. "Good morning." I say when I get closer.

"'Good morning sweetie, come sit down to eat with us." My dad says pointing to the empty seat and plate.

"Mm, I'm not staying for breakfast, I gotta go." I say after drinking some orange juice.

"Where you going?" He asks.

"To run some errands in the city."

"Give me a few mins and I'll go with you." Diego says eating his food fast and standing up.

"No, no, no, it's not needed, I'm not going to take long." I say stopping him. "It's going to be quick it's really not needed."

"Are you sure?" He asks sitting back down.

"Yes, now i gotta run, bye see you later." I say before I run out of the house.

***
"... and that's why I believe I could be a great asset to your company." I say confident to the manager in front of me.

He looks at me and gives me a big smile. Yes! He liked me.

"Ms. Garcia before we continue I w-" he's cut off by his phone going off.

"I apologize." He says before checking and I give him a sympathetic nod.

He seems to have received a text message and after reading it, his face expression changes. He places the phone on the desk and clears his throat before speaking.

"Ms. Garcia, unfortunately we won't be able to move forward with you."

"What? Why?" I ask confused. I thought I did good and he liked me.

"You do not have experience and even though you had excellent grades in school, experience is needed to being able to handle a job like this one."

"How am I going to have experience when no one wants to employ for that same reason?" I ask feeling anger rising. This is stupid.

He nervously looks at his phone which rings again and it all makes sense now.

"Are you being threatened? Is that why you are not giving me a chance? Is this my dad's doing?"

"I am sorry we can't- we can't employ you. I really I'm sorry." He keeps repeating.

"Not it's ok, I wouldn't want to work at a place like this anyway. I don't want to have a boss who can't even make his own decisions." I last say before standing up and storming out of the office, not without slamming the door first of course.

I walk out of the building and dial Mar's contact.

"Mar, I need to vent before I go crazy. Food and drinks?" I ask. "Ok see you there." I add before hanging up.

On my way to the restaurant where I'm meeting Mar, I noticed im being followed again. The black Doger belongs to my dad's security I'm sure. That explains how he found out about the interview.

I pull up to the parking lot and notice the car stops on the street, trying to not be spotted, too late friend. I see a brunette with long straight hair giving her back to me and I walk up to her.

"Hope," she says getting up to hug me. "What happened?"

"He did it again. He did it again." I say frustrated and I sit down.

"What happened?"

"I had a job interview today and everything was going good, it seemed like the manager really liked me. Then his phone rang and all of a sudden I was not a good option anymore. This is the 4th job opportunity my dad ruins for me."

"Hope why are you looking for a job? Your dad will retire soon and you will be taking over the ma-" Mar says before I cut her off.

"Please Mariana don't, I already have to hear this from my dad and Diego, please not from you too."

"Ok, ok I'm not going to say anything, but what are you going to do then?"

"Not give up. Keep looking for a job. My dad can't force me into this life. He can try, but I won't have it." I say sipping some of my water when I spot the black dodger closer to where we were sitting. "Look," I say pointing with my head towards the car. "They've been following me for days, for 'security.' If i give in to this life, this is what awaits me. Having to have security at all times, being afraid I will get killed. No thanks, that's not for me."

After a a few hours of talking, eating dinner and having some drinks, its getting dark so it's time to go home. Mar and I walk out of the restaurant.

"Do you feel better?" She asks.

"Yes, thank you for listening to me."

"Always, I'm just a phone cal away." She says smiling and giving me a hug.

I get in my car and drive away from the city. Of course a house like the one I live in can only be found in the outside of the city. We really live out there in the country, in the middle of nowhere, people would never find us, which I guess it's the whole purpose. The road to the house is long and lonely. I jam out to my music and rolls my eyes when the dodger becomes noticeable. I touch the radio to change the song when hear the sound of some tires squeal. I look up to my middle mirror and see a black van blocked the way of the dodger. Where did that van come from?

"What the fuck?" I say out loud before noticing there's a black van as well coming straight my way and blocks my way too. A few of men get off with guns pointing at my car. I feel my heart beating extremely fast and I can't catch my breath. A man approaches my window and knocks twice on it, I am scared as shit but something I've learned from being associated with the mafia is to always cooperate. I lower my window not looking that way when I hear the man clear his throat making me look. I'm met with a dark blonde haired, blue eyed guy I've never seen before.

"Are you Hope Garcia?" He asks.

"Who are you?" I ask back.

"I hope you don't take this personal." He says before covering my mouth and face with his hand where he has a gaze placed with a strong smell. I try to fight him but his hand is big enough to cover them well and also strong enough for me to be able to move it. I try not to inhale the chemical that seems to be in the gaze but it's impossible. It's hard to breath through my mouth, it's hard to breath in general with the pressure he is putting, but I need some air. I feel my body getting weaker and weaker. I'm not able to move my legs with so much strength anymore, my arms feel heavy to lift up, and I can't keep my eyes open. Little by little I feel myself snooze out and my mind getting darker.