Chapter 24

As soon as I'm in front of the house, I jump off the drivers seat and run towards the house. I don't need to look back to know Hope is running besides me, just a few steps behind. We make our way upstairs towards Sam's room. When I open the door I see Sam laying down with his eyes closed.

"Sam." I say almost whispering. "How is he?" I ask out loud.

"Sam was shot on his left leg Tom, he lost a lot of blood but I already sent out to get blood for a transfusion." The doctor standing next to me explains.

"Would someone care to tell me what happened? Huh?" I yell. I turn to the side and see Harry standing there with his head down. "Where you not watching your brother's back? Huh? What happened Harry?" I ask walking up to him grabbing him by the collar of his shift pushing him back until he's against the closet door. "What happened to Sam, Harry?" I ask.

"Tom I-" Harry starts to speak.

"What? Tell me what." I say pushing him against the wall.

"Tom calm down," Harrison walks up to me. "Let him go." He adds but I don't instead I grab him harder and push him harder. Why is he not talking? Why is he not telling me how out bother got hurt. "Tom stop you're scaring her." Harrison yells at me. I stop for a second and turn to the door, Hope is standing there with watery eyes looking at me. I let go of Harry.

"Come with me." Harrison pushes me out the room.

"What happened Harrison?" I ask as soon as we enter my office.

"I don't know, Harry called me once Sam was already shot. My guess is they tried to rob them."

"Rob them? Who would try to fucking rob them?"

"I don't know Tom it's just a guess." Harrison says. I pull my hair in desperation.

"This is my fault."

"Why do you say that?"

"I should've been there instead of Sam. I was going to supervise it but I sent the twins instead so I could go to this stupid date."

"Tom you couldn't have possibly know something like this was going to happen. If anything, if you would've gone instead of Sam you would've been the one shot, so you should be thanking Hope."

"Thank Hope? Why would I when she's the reason shit is going downhill?" I say and Harrison looks at me confused. "Don't you see it? Since her arrival everything went south. We were attacked, I killed one of our men, and now I'm practically enemies with the Portugal mafia who is probably behind tonight's attack too." I say upset.

"What I see is a happy Tom." Harrison says making me stop pacing. "Look at you, you're dressed in casual clothes when was the last time you did this? You smile more, you talk more, you seem more relaxed and it's been since Hope got here. And you can't blame her for the things that happened with Paulo."

"Yes, yes I can." I argue and Harrison shakes his head.

"Tell me Tom, what do you feel for Hope? Be honest." He asks me and looks at me. I know, looking at his eyes, that I can lie to anyone but him.

"She's in my mind all the time Haz. I go to bed thinking about her, I get up in the morning looking forward to seeing her running around the house all day. She makes me nervous when she gets close. Talking to her and being with her feels good. I- I.." I can't continue.

"So you're in love?"

"What nonsense are you saying Harrison."

"It's not nonsense Tom, you're in love with the girl even if you don't want to admit it." He says and I stay quiet for a second. No I'm not in love, I'm just attracted to her, yeah that's what it is, I'm very very attracted to her only.