seven - at the dinner table

Selena's body jolted suddenly in shock, she turned to her side and saw Lively.

"Come on, let's go. Don't give him the satisfaction of seeing you hurt." She murmured. "I didn't expect him to go this far."

She surmised that not everyone knew of Nathaniel's plan to marry Katie up until he revealed it to the pack. Now that everyone was aware of it, he had made it to a point of no return.

Did Eliza plan this party for Nathaniel and Katie? They were a week early and she was sure this was not a coincidence. Perhaps this is what Jacob meant when he said he suspected something else was going on?

The longer she stood in place, the faster her body crumbled. While inside of her, the weeping cries of her wolf continue to weaken Selena's resolve.

"Lena," a cheery voice came from behind them. It was none other than Jacob, happily grinning from ear to ear. "The pants are a little too big but I'd say you look good."

Looking at Jacob and glancing back at Nathaniel, Selena couldn't believe that both of them were from the same flesh and blood. Though they looked the same, their dispositions were far too different from each other.

'Why didn't I have you instead of Nathaniel, Jacob?' She thought.

The idea was a crime itself. To question the Moon's intentions meant you didn't trust her. But Selena didn't mind that at all. She couldn't trust the Moon and she probably never will after what she did to her.

"I-I gotta go." Selena tried to push past him but he was quick to reach out his hand to stop her.

"Wait, mother told me to invite you to our table. She says you have to come because you are her guest."

"Personal guest?" Selena asks, her heart throbbing with uncertainty.

"Well, yes. Did my mother not tell you?"

Selena gulped noisily. She was still recuperating from witnessing his mate announcing his engagement to a wolf that was not her. And now, she had another problem she needed to deal with.

"Selena's not feeling well. She needs to rest." Lively placed a hand on Selena's back.

"Oh, well-" Jacob was cut off when his mother appeared, pushing against the crowd of wolves.

From where she stood, a feeling of lightheadedness slithered into her chest. She was in the precipice of her undoing when her nose caught Nathaniel's scent. His closeness and overwhelming power prickled her skin, causing goosebumps to appear on her neck.

Meters away, Nathaniel made it his best to avoid looking at Selena. Though Selena didn't see, she felt his disdain. It made her question to what length does he truly despise her.

At this point, Selena concluded that he was only doing this to toy with her emotions or his wicked punishment for not submitting to him. Perhaps deep down, Nathaniel and Jacob had the same morals. To string women to adorn themselves like trophies.

He planned on marrying Katie and yet, on the battlefield, when they were surrounded by blood, dead wolves, and many witnesses, he wanted her to bend her neck and mark her.

Selena shivered against Lively's cajoling hand.

"Selena," Eliza smiled kindly. "I see my son's clothes fit you well."

"I'm sorry." She murmured.

"Don't you worry about it. I'd only be against it if your mates are here."

The old woman laughs lightly. Selena writhed in anguish at Eliza's obvious misplaced laughter.

"Mother, Selena's feeling a bit dizzy. She was hoping to skip dinner and just rest." Lively spoke for her.