twenty - true colors, true faces

The blistering stagnancy of the current moment had done so little to keep Katie sane. All she needed was a piece of silence to help her think of an excuse, a proper play of words to convince their Alpha to let her go.

But thinking was an arduous task already when the wolf that made her shiver and pee herself was still looking at her maliciously.

His fear-inducing blue orbs were pinned only to her and she could only think of what was going inside of his mind. No doubt he was plotting something too. Her death, most probably.

It had only been minutes since he had issued her a warning or to put it more cleanly, he threatened her. And how, Francis haplessly spun his unsheathed dagger in the air, just observing her.

The only protection Katie had was Talon’s mark. She knew as long if she remained affable towards her mate, then she wouldn’t have a chance of leaving and going back to Nathaniel. She needed to lower her defenses first and let Talon in to guarantee her safety and in the end, maybe she could convince him to let her go.

That was the only way and Katie willed herself in order to do it.

It became silent when Katie felt her heart bloom with a rush of feelings through her veins. Her wolf had woken up, its attention peaked. The beating of her heart persisted as heavy footsteps entered her ears.

The legs of Francis’s chair scraped against the wooden floor as he stood and walked to the door. He opens it, revealing the man that caused her to have all the different emotions she desperately wanted to get rid of.

“Cousin, welcome back.” Francis smiled freely.

Talon’s eye was stuck to her, his bereft and stunned expression causing her to mirror it. He took a little longer to respond.

“F-Francis.” He stuttered as he entered the room.

Katie felt his nervousness, his fear of the moment. It radiated from him. Though what he was afraid about? She was the one being held against her will here. If anyone had any right to feel frightened, it was her.

“I see that our guest has awoken.” Talon approached her. Katie gazed at how dark his eye was. It rendered her speechless with how many unsaid words were inlaid on the strands of his captivating gaze.

She had to remind herself that Talon was the reason why she was stuck here and above all that, he marked her without her permission.

But she couldn’t stop herself from being struck with awe.

He pulls back and stood, removing his shirt from his body. She watched him as he crossed from one side of the room to another, opening his drawers and grabbing a shirt and pair of trousers. In a matter of minutes, Katie had seen all of him except the parts that were hidden under his underwear.

He had a tall and very fit body, muscles that were shaped all too smoothly, and his legs and feet looked sturdy. She saw how immaculate he was, a view of perfection under the veil of unspoken words.

Katie had seen many men naked before, right after they shifted from their wolves, even Nathaniel and she was drawn to Talon most.

But why? Her wolf’s emotions were starting to betray her and she hated it.

“How long has she been awake?” He asked.

“About ten to fifteen minutes, cousin.” Francis dutifully answered.

Katie’s eyes glanced at Francis, seeing him glower at her. She widened her eyes and immediately stared at her hands.

What would happen if she told Talon about what Francis had said? Katie thought of the repercussions. If she knew anything about the Remmingtons, then their words should be taken seriously. Additionally, she needed to gain their trust, and telling on him would lessen her chances of escaping. For now, she needed to be quiet.