forty two: Madam

The awkward tension that bit Selena’s tongue made her burn. She couldn’t bring herself to raise her gaze and look at Lively. She was standing beside the empty tables, arms crossed and a perturbed expression is written all over her face.

“Hey,” Lively greets, her eyes bouncing between Dorran and her.

“Where’s everybody?” Dorran widened his gaze, equally bewildered.

“Tobias was ordered by your Alpha to go home. He told me to look after you in case you do something stupid to Selena.” 

Lively’s snide speaking tone did not escape from Selena’s ears. She worried if Lively viewed him as an enemy. The way she stood, head cocked to the side and her eyes staring Dorran down all pointed to that. Then again, how could she blame her when Dorran decided to hide his scent? It was just Lively being overprotective.

“Ordered? And I wasn’t informed.”

Selena feared that whatever the issue was, it could have been serious. She made Dorran miss his duty.

“Yes, your Beta had the idea of letting you get things off your chest. Though I’m in no place and right to question what exactly those things are but I think since I’m the one that brought Selena, looking after her is my responsibility and I just want to know if Selena is safe with you.”

Selena stared, flummoxed and unable to think of what to say.

“I can assure you; she and I are friends. I would never dare to do anything that might hurt her.”

Dorran glances at her with an honest gaze.

“Hmm, okay fine. I don’t trust you but if you’re so bold as to ask for private time with Selena then I guess I should just keep my mouth shut.”

Lively huffed, turning to Selena. Her eyes widened while she played an awkward smile. Though it seemed like she had more to say, Lively relented and sighed heavily.

“Why don’t you two come inside? We can talk more.” She said.

She walked back to the house and they followed her. In the driveway, the was an unfamiliar car. The sight of it made Lively cuss out loud and storm into the house. Selena turned to Dorran whose expression became ultimately sour.

Though her wolf was yet to wake up and her senses were significantly stunted without it, she could see there was something wrong with him and he had become stoned-faced as he stared at the house.

“Dorran, you good?”

He nods, weakly sparing her a halfhearted smile.

“Yeah, after all I that said to you, believe me, my Luna. My heart is yours.”

It might have been a terrible choice to chuckle. But that was her way to try and make sense of the situation. She wanted to diffuse his reaction before she could say anything.

“What are you saying?” Selena asks.

His somber, hardened expression petrified her. He was grinning minutes ago and now, it just looked like he was placed on a chair with a giant boulder hanging over his head.

Lively passed through the door again, her pale face was terrifying. It was the look of someone who had just lost family. But to her utter shock and disbelief, Francis emerged out of the house, rocking a gun on his side.

The confusion started to toy with her as Francis’ muzzle was now trained at Dorran’s direction. Though even that could not trump what feeling Selena had when Nathaniel walked out of the house, that dreadful gleam on him made her heart sink to her stomach while she made sense of what was happening.