twenty-six: selfish decisions

Noises echoed from all sides of her head. The slithery voice of gentle whispers gradually goaded her into awakening. She was in a limbo-like state, half-asleep and half-awake.

While she laid on the bed, a slight movement on her sides sent shivers throughout her body as the warm air blowing behind her air slowly but surely reduced her to a piece of petrified stone.

Whoever it was that held her softly was humming a lullaby. It was odd hearing it being sung to her. Even her mother, nor her father had done so. His immaculate voice sewed seeds of unrelenting misery after she realized the person’s hand entwined with hers.

She felt his lips moving on her body, ever so gently caressing her neck.

Katie found the courage to turn her body, despite it protesting.

The dazzling light from the moon pouring into the room through the window hit the wolf’s eye. And though his gaze was the darkest shade of brown, under the illustrious moon’s light, it glowed like a beacon that absorbed her.

“Why am I alive?” She asked.

The moment she struck her head on the floor, she was certain of her death and her wolf had finally died, taken in by her cancer.

Talon’s tear-filled stare was heartbreaking. Inside, she felt happy to be this close to him while she wept at the thought of him crying for her.

“I came home as fast as I could.” He sobbed. “They found you unconscious and coughing up blood on the floor.”

Katie’s emotions continued to bloom, her wolf howling inside. All she wanted was to stand up and risk herself from dying in her wake of escape. The only thing stopping her was Talon’s muscular hand, grasping her waist and he had no intentions of letting her go.

“Alpha Talon.” She sobbed.

“My moon,” he whispered. Talon buried his face on the side of her head. “There was not a single day I wasn’t thinking of you.”

He pulls away, his bleeding heart reflected in his anguished expression.

“Why?” She asks.

Why of all the people, the wolves, left in this cruel world, why did Talon choose a lowly wolf like her to watch over with his kind stare and touch her with the kisses of a thousand innocent angels?

Even after all the dirt she dragged the people all around her, one remained and stood out the most. A bright jasper, sticking out of the rubble and stone. Its light drawing her closer. Talon’s magnificent sheen was near impossible to not see. Not only it was vivid, but it was also a casting gleam of heat and a tempest passion.

Simply irrevocable to look away.

“Why?” He asks, disbelief clouding his voice. “Why do you think, why?”

“Because I ruin everything I touch. I suck the life out of everyone. Why should you be near me?” She confessed.

She felt the inches of his hand, its rough outline and veins as she carefully lifted it and placed it on the bed. The space she created between them only gave a small amount of comfort while she sat on the edge of the bed.

Her head was hanging low and her shoulders slumped down.

For some reason, despite the change of clothes she was in, Katie felt naked. Exposed like tender flesh and bone. She felt Talon’s stare, burrowing a hole on her back as he moved on the bed, approaching her. He wraps his muscled arms around her shivering body, rested his forehead on her neck.

Exhilaration pumped into her body.

A touch like Talon’s. One she had never had the pleasure to feel up to this point felt godlike.