forty three: Beauty

How is it that only now all the scum his family tried to subdue came pouring in all at once? Like the dam of secrets they fortified for years just overflowed.

He stood in front of his brother, failing to grasp the intensity of the moment.

“Did you finally come to see me?” Roark cocks his head.

His brows meet together. The nonchalance of Alpha Remmington, his brother was beginning to get under his skin. Patience was always the key and his father often said kindness was a virtue and finding just in every moment was a primary trait an Alpha wolf should possess.

He found it funny considering his father was a big liar and Harrick forcefully and thoroughly sodomized him.

Nathaniel was already fucked over and trampled by a stampeding horde of his father’s secrets. He had no desire of going through that again.

When Nathaniel hadn’t answered, Roark chuckled recklessly.

“I see you’ve met my twin. I smell his blood on your hand. How did that go?”

Nathaniel licked his lip, copying the laugh his brother made. They were twins. He hoped Roark wasn’t equally stupid and maniacal like Harrick.

“He almost killed us both.” He answers.

“Typical of him then. I’m sorry he’s stupid but I am not my brother’s keeper.”

Nathaniel inspected his face. It was like looking at someone he knew all his life. Like he was seeing his father again after months.

“You are Alpha Remmington, are you not? I’ve heard Frank talk about you. It’s your duty first to look after your family.”

Roark grinned mockingly. “That’s very rich, coming from you.”

“And that’s a rather low-blow considering it’s only been two days that I discovered you existed.” He retorts.

His brother stares at him. After a long pause, he had finally speaks up.

“You know, I’ve been eyeing Winston Hayward for a long time. It’s good that you showed up. I was planning to make him disappear.”

His fingernails dug into the palm of his hands.

“Why? What for? Winston is innocent in all of this.”

“Because he is in the way. Don’t think of me as a stupid fool, Nathaniel. The look of that man seems like even he couldn’t hurt a fly. But in actuality, he is a very valuable informant. He’s no spy but the connections he has over humans are jarring, to say the least.”

He was right. Nathaniel never asked too much from Winston. But his brother helped in any way he could to the pack. One thing that he was more than happy to do was to keep tabs on wolves and report them to Nathaniel. Because of this, the likelihood of successful attacks or raids from other packs drastically decreased.

He expected that Winston’s efforts would eventually be caught. That’s the main reason why he made sure to house his brother, to keep him close. But he didn’t think of Alphas personally taking an interest in Winston.

“Is that why you’re here? To slay my brother.”

“Honestly, no. I didn’t even expect him to have been here. It was just a coincidence.”

With wolves, coincidences were nonexistent and he doubts Roark would be the kind of person to do with his plans without prior scouting.

That brought his mind to Selena. Nathaniel could smell her on him. Not that they were doing anything inappropriate but being that close to him, her scent had clung to Roark.