Chapter 30

As I stood on the front porch of the cabana house with Kayla's cell pressed to my ear, I thought back on everything that had happened since I met her. It felt as if I'd been caught in a whirlwind.

"Hello." A voice cracked unto the line.

"Hey, K. It's me." I said my voice sounding as tired as I felt.

"Antonio."

"Yeah man."

"Shit man where the hell have you been? Not only has the force been up my ass for the past three days looking to question you about that shooting, but FEDS dropped in on me this morning wanting to know if I'd had any contact with you in the past twenty-four hours. What the hell have you got yourself into this time and where the hell is Kayla?" Kenyon snapped into the phone.

"Now which one of those questions you want me to answer first, K?" I asked glad to hear his voice.

"Are you safe?" He asked his tone still anxious.

"Yes, Kayla and I are both fine and as for the DCPD, let them know that I will be cooperating fully with them once I am back in the country."

"Where the hell are you man?" Kenyon questioned, frustration coloring his tone.

"I really can't say right now. I just wanted to call and check in and to get you to do me a favor."

"Why am I not surprised, what you need man?"

"I need you to find someone for me, but I don't have much to go on though. All I have is the husband's name."

"Shit Antonio another job? I'm so up to my neck in those I had to send Sherri on a steak out last night so I could wrap up the Flame case. Did you know that NBA player Kyle Washington was into men? That motherfucker had the nerve to try and take me down last night!"

"Yeah I think I heard that somewhere before. K, I need you focused. This is important. I need for you to find the wife of a man named Victor Hernandez. Bring her in and keep her safe until I get back to Miami," I said rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet.

"You have got to be joking! How the hell I am supposed to do that?!" Kenyon questioned, his attitude on blast.

"Go in my office and pull a file called Big Cat and get the contact number. He should be able to get you the information you're looking for."

"What? I'm not going to deal with those low lives that you associate with."

"Kenyon, I wouldn't normally ask you anything like this, but a woman and her kids' lives are at stake. You have to help them because I can't right now. Please!" I pleaded, pulling Kenyon's knight in shining armor card. He had a weakness for women and hoes alike in distress. He took a deep breath.

"Alright, but you owe me big time for this shit," Kenyon said.

"Anything. Just name it." I replied feeling a weight lift.

"What's this contact's name?"

"The less you know about this character the better. Just tell him that you're doing me a favor and I will be in his debt for dealing with you."

"Alright man."

"Oh and Kenyon."

"Yeah?"

"Make sure you bring a lot of paper to the meeting."

"What?" Kenyon asked outraged.

"Talk to you later man." I said closing the cell.

I took a deep breath and slowly let it out. I had kept a promise to a dead man but the guilt I felt over his murder did not lessen any, nor that of Douglass' murder either. Willoughby and Martinez would pay dearly. I would see to it."

I turned and went back into the house softly closing the door after me. Kayla had finally went to sleep and I didn't won't to wake her. She needed her rest. We had a long road ahead. This may be the only chance she'd get to sleep for a while. Who was I kidding? I was being selfish. This could be the last chance I'd get to be with her. To hold her, touch her, just be near her, this was it. I knew that once we found her sister I would have to go my way and let her go hers. My life could never be my own, not until I found Alejandra, and who knew how much longer that could take. It had already been sixteen years without so much as a clue.

As much as I wanted to indulge my selfishness and beg her to wait for me, I couldn't. She was just too good of a woman for that. I walked into the bedroom and kneeled down beside Kayla, feeling content to just watch her sleep. She looked so peaceful and the name Angel really didn't do her justice. She was a divine miracle that was just too damn good for me. I don't know how long I sat there before her eyes fluttered open and slowly focused on my face.

"Have you even closed your eyes once since I fell asleep?" Kayla asked in a husky voice that was due to sleep but still made her sound unbelievably sexy.

"Yeah." I lied.

"Liar." She accused with a grin. I gave her a smile in return as I pushed a lone curl from her face.

"You have no one but yourself to blame, you are just too damn distracting and irresistible when you are sleeping. You compelled me to sit right here and watch you." The look she gave me turned me into the man of steel in two seconds flat and had me ready to run for the hills.

"Angel, you shouldn't look at me like that."

"Like what?" Kayla innocently asked, averting her eyes at the same time.

"Like the world begins and ends with me. I really don't deserve it." I replied watching her carefully.

"I wasn't aware that I was doing that." Kayla retorted, shifting to sit up in the bed.

"Big time." Kayla squared her shoulders and then looked into my eyes with a look of determination.

"Why shouldn't I look at you like this? It's the way I feel. I'm done with hiding from the way I feel."

"Because I'm not that man. Don't get me wrong, every time I look at you and hold you I wish that I was, but the truth is, I'm not. It would be wrong for me to continue to let you think that I was." I answered returning her stare. Daring her to look at me and really see me for who I was.

"You're not letting me think anything Antonio, I know what I see when I look at you, and believe me I have no delusions or misconceptions about your shortcomings. You can be a pig, disrespectful, close minded, chauvinistic,-"

"Hold the fuck up, I get it." I snapped.

"No you don't, because even with all of that going on you are still caring, trustworthy, honorable, dependable, and the man that I have chosen to love. So yes I do see you, in fact I have never seen anyone so clearly in my whole life," Kayla said placing her hand on my cheek.

"I can't stay, Angel," I said buckled down by the weight of my emotions.

"I know Antonio and I accept that."

"I can't ask you to put your life on hold waiting for me either."

"It's funny that you think I have any other choice but to wait. My soul is chained to yours. We both know that," Kayla said, while pulling me onto the bed next to her.

I knew she was right because there was no one else in this entire world who would be able to fill the hole that would be left inside of me once I left. I wrapped my arms around her pushing those thoughts out of my mind. Love. Wow. My Angel loved me and the feeling it gave me to know that was undefined. There were no words for the peace she infused in me. How will I ever be able to walk away from her?