Chapter 22

My body snapped to attention when I heard the door to my room open and close. Without opening my eyes I knew it was her. The scent of her perfume announced her presence.

"Where the hell have you been?" I asked still not bothering to open my eyes.

"I went for a swim and a boat ride." Kayla replied not even hinting at the fact that she was surprised I was awake. I opened my eyes and sat up in the bed and was damn neared by the sight of Kayla in a candy apple red bikini. Taking a deep breath, I turned away to get out of bed.

"Did you find out anything?" I asked with my back to her.

"No not anything in particular." She answered, her voice coming from the bathroom. "Did you?"

"I found out a few interesting things, like the fact that there is supposed to be something big going down on the island tomorrow night." I said turning toward the direction I heard Kayla's voice coming from.

"You already knew that." Kayla responded, emerging from the bathroom in a bathrobe.

"Yeah, but what I didn't know is that one of Roberto's freaks is fed." I replied my eyes now devouring her face with slow precision. Is she naked under that robe? Concentrate Rodriguez, if you slip up now that could mean all of your lives, be cool.

"Really?" Kayla asked, pausing as a frown crossed her face. "Which one?"

"Bella. She's been working this case for a couple of years, but hasn't gotten anything but a wet ass for her troubles," I said, smirking.

"Antonio! God, do you have to be so nasty?" She asked throwing me a disgusted look as she continued to head toward the closet.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Nothing." She responded shaking her head and taking a deep breath. "Two years on a case and nothing incriminating? He's careful." She mumbled to herself, chewing on her full bottom lip.

Damn! Why wouldn't she let me do that? "I don't know whatever's happening tomorrow night has her excited," I said sitting on the foot of the bed. I watched the expressions on Kayla's face go from scrutiny to horror.

"You told her who we were and why we're here, didn't you?"

"What? No, she already knew who I was."

"Do you think we can trust her?" Kayla asked composing her expression.

"I'm not seeing that we have a choice. If she was going to go to Roberto she probably would have already done so by now."   

"What makes you so sure she hasn't already?" Kayla asked folding her arms.

"We're not dead are we?" I asked.

Kayla stared at me for a moment longer and turned her attention back to sifting through the clothes in the closet.

"I'll keep a close eye on her." I heard her mutter under her breath. I stood and walked to the window that gave and watched the tide come in. My mind touched on everything Bella and I discussed. Things I couldn't tell Kayla. Ignorance was more than bliss in her case, it would sustain her life.

"Did Roberto say if dinner was going to be formal or casual?"

"What was that?" I asked turning away from the window.

"You haven't heard a thing I just said have you?" She asked narrowing her hazel eyes at me until they became slits of light.

"No, I'm sorry my mind was somewhere else." I admitted.

"Where?" Kayla asked suspiciously. "I mean...you are telling me everything right."

"You don't trust me now?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow.