Chapter 35

"We will be landing soon so if you would please put your seatbelts on." The flight attendant said lightly placing her hand on Antonio's shoulder.

"Thank you." I replied.

The flight attendant gave me a nod, and then moved on. I quickly clicked my seatbelt in place and stared out the window into the darkness. It was kind of disorientating to leave the Bahamas in the early morning and be landing in Paris in the late evening.

I glanced back over at Antonio, his eyes burned but his facial features maintained the perfect mask of indifference. He was still mad at me and had been so the whole flight. Why couldn't he understand he and I were not so different when it came to our family? I know that looking for Alejandra these past sixteen years hasn't been a breeding ground for safety, but yet he still continued to search. That's because your safety means nothing when it comes to saving the people you loved. I turned back to look out the window, deciding he'd talk to me when he was ready.

"If god has any favor for me, the duchess will be in bed when we arrive. There's nothing I can think of worse than dealing with her after a nine hour flight." I heard mom tell dad.

I smiled to myself thinking about my mother and grandmother's relationship over the years. I never quite understood why they didn't get along and once when I had asked my mother about it she gave a sniff and said 'that's absurd, the Duchess and I are as close as a mother and daughter should be.'

"It will be nice seeing your mother again after so many years." Dad replied patting mom on her knees.

"Why? She never liked you, and four years isn't many at all," Mom said as she casually brushed dad's hand from her knee.

"Amelia's right Gabriel, her mother is even worse than she is. Remember the last time she visited she tried to get me to wear a maid's uniform. Then sis had the nerve to tell me, I was no longer allowed to take my meals with the family." Ruby smacked her lips with disdain. "Believe me, the back of her is the best of her."

"Sense from the senseless. She has a point Gabriel, visiting my mother is like making preparations for an audience with the queen. Everything is protocol." Mom's eyes rolled.

Nana always had that effect on her, but I never really understood why. Nana spoiled Miah and me rotten whenever she came to visit and she always gave us the benefit of her knowledge. Not to mention, all the stories she would share with us from her past. Those stories everything.

"Kayla you don't look right. Your color is all wrong. You getting sick or something?" Ruby asked with a face full of concern.

"No, I feel fine." My hand floated up to my face to press against my cheeks. They did feel warm, but not feverish.

"Just the same, when we get to where we're going I'll make you something warm to stop whatever that bug is in its tracks." Ruby insisted, before giving her attention back over to her bible.

"She's right; your complexion does look a little splotchy." Antonio agreed staring at my face through narrowed eyes.

"I'm fine, just tired." I replied giving him a weak smile. He stared at me for a second and then turned away.

I returned my gaze to the sea of lights outside the window as the plane started its decent into Paris. I watched them shine like rare gems laid out on a cloth of black velvet, the view was spectacular. The plane hit the tarmac with a thud in a private airstrip. It coasted for about three miles before it finally came to a complete stop.

After a moment, the seatbelt light turned off, and then everyone began to gather things. A little while later, the plane door was opened and the flight attendant told us we were free to leave. With our belongings in hand we each began to file out of the plane onto a well-lit runway. Two black SUV's with tinted windows awaited us with drivers standing by each vehicle.