Chapter 16

"What the hell is her problem?" I asked.

I watched, astonished. Kayla tore up the damn concrete making a demon's run exit out of the parking lot.

"I guess that's how it looks when a woman isn't falling hook line and sinker for the bullshit you're constantly selling." Kenyon replied with infatuation written all over his face as he watched her until she turned the corner.

I frowned at him.

"You mean that's how it looks when a woman is losing her damn mind," I said, turning toward the office still confused by what had happened with Kayla.

The meeting was a success. I couldn't wait to get back and tell her about it. Instead all I got for my effort was attitude and more attitude. Women might as well have been from another planet that instead of using common sense, sat around and talked about how they had been wronged by men all day. I hung around the office until it was time to close, and then Kenyon tapped on my door on his way out.

"Antonio, are you about ready to call it a day?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm ready. Just finishing up filing away a couple of things." I replied.

"Did you want me to wait until you've finished?" Kenyon asked.

"No, I got it, go ahead and go home," I said.

Kenyon looked as if he wanted to say something else before he left, he decided against it at the last minute.

That's right, let that shit ride.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Kenyon said before letting the office door close behind him.

"Not if I see you first K." I answered to nobody in particular.

What the hell was that I drove up on with him and Kayla? Kenyon was violating. Didn't he know Kayla was mine? If he didn't, he would. I let my thoughts drift to her and this afternoon when she pissed all over me for skipping out on her with the meeting. Damn she was sexy when she was mad. Her hazel eyes went emerald green with rage.

I had to make this right with her. I couldn't afford to lose her, because I tried to protect her. But I would be damned if I apologized for it, though. I grabbed my car keys off my desk. I was going to see her and try and salvage our partnership.

I would make her understand that she was now my responsibility and it was up to me to keep her safe. By the time I pulled into the parking lot of Kayla's motel it was already dark. The establishment still had yet to turn the property lights on. It was next to impossible to see your hand in front of your face. Kayla and I had to talk about her changing motels. Maybe she could come and stay with me for the rest of her time in Miami.

I could keep a closer eye on her and at the same time send a message to Kenyon without having to step down. I noticed a black man, who looked as if he played linebacker for the Dolphins, picking the lock to her room door. My instincts made me reach for my gun that normally was in my waistband. The gun was inconveniently tucked in the glove compartment of my car. Shit.

From the size of the guy the only thing I had on my side was the element of surprise. I reached down and picked up a brick from the pathetic excuse for a rock garden the motel owner's had put down for decorations. I crept up the stairs taking care not to be heard. Half way up the stairs I felt the distinct cold metal from the barrel of a hand gun pressed firmly against the base of my skull.

"You move and I will add red to the color of these stairs." I heard a familiar female voice whisper next to my right ear.

"Kayla?" I asked.