Chapter 2

Somewhere in the distance I heard a piercing high pitch sound, it was rather insistent that sound. As I floated on a cloud of oblivion that sound seemed to corrupt the tranquility of my peaceful state. It continued to grow louder and louder until the only thing I could concentrate on was that sound. I began to feel my much deserved slumber slip away to the cold reality of a ringing phone. As I rolled over and opened my eyes I quickly closed them against the noon day sun that streamed through the curtain of my bedroom window. Beyond heated I grabbed the phone from the nightstand and opened one eye to take a peek at the caller I.D. I stabbed the talk button with my finger and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Thought I told you I planned on sleeping in today, Jamiah," I said with a patient voice I only reserved for my baby sister.

"I know what you said, Kayla, but I have news...huge news, and I wanted you to be the first to her," she said jumbling her words.

My sister only stammered when she was extremely nervous. This hijacked my attention.

"What is it, Miah?" I asked getting ready to talk her out of any decision she may have made without my regard.

"Kayla, please don't use that tone with me."  She begged before releasing an exaggerated sigh. "What tone Miah? There's no tone." I said, waiting for her to continue.

"Yes there is. It's the tone you get when you believe you're gonna have to talk me off the ledge of another bad idea."

"Am I?" I asked with dwindling patience.

"Are you what?"

"Am I going to have to talk you off the ledge of another bad idea? Because if I am, damn it, I'm telling you right now I'm gonna need at least six more hours of sleep!" I kicked all pretenses of patience to the left.

"Ugh, you're in a mood aren't you?" A smacking sound came from her end of the line.

"Not a mood just exhaustion. You try holding an intelligent conversation coming off a thirty-six hour rotation." I snapped my irritation full grown.

"Wow, you're just like mom and dad! All work and more work." She said.

"Jamiah, I know you did not call and wake me to express me your disapproval on the amount of hours I spend at the hospital," I said crossing the line from mild irritation to a full fledge attitude.

"Okay, your right. I didn't call for that. The reason I'm calling is to let you know I'm getting married in three weeks," she mumbled in a rush of words that was so low I had to strain to hear her.

"What did you just say?" I asked sitting straight up in my bed all thoughts of sleep forgotten.

"I'm in love, Kayla. Don't judge, okay? Just be happy for us."

"Who the hell is us, Jamiah? Because the last time I checked you weren't even seeing anybody!" I said, while mentally going through a list of my sister's no good ex boyfriends from the past six months.

"I met him four months ago and I didn't tell you about him because you know how you get." she said, while adopting the patience that I'd just tossed away.

"What do you mean, how I can get?" I asked.

"Always judging. Never giving anybody a chance," she said, talking down to me.

"That's not true and you know it. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, it's not my fault that the men you choose to get involved with never take long to turn that doubt into a confirmed fact," I said, sliding off my mattress and pacing back and forth around my bedroom.

"You're so boujee! If a man doesn't have a Graduate's degree and employment options you think he is not worth your time." She accused in her holier than thou voice she used right before she picked up her long suffering cause of the oppressed black man.