Chapter 6

I awoke to Jamiah standing over me smiling. Her smile appeared isolated to her lips alone. I sat up and rubbed my hand across my face, "Miah what are you doing here?"

"I thought since you're going to the Bahamas, you might like to dress the part. I'm here to take you shopping." She answered with a huge grin on her face.

"What makes you think I have the time to go shopping?" I asked, while cocking my head to the side.

"I dropped by the hospital last night to see if you'd spoken to mom and dad and ran into Nika. She told me you were on leave for a few weeks." She walked over to my closet.

I should have known nothing happened in Atlanta General without Nika knowing first. She probably knew the real reason why I chose to take a leave.

"She shouldn't have told you I was on leave." I snapped only mildly irritated.

"Why? She knew you were going to tell us anyway. You tell us everything." She said. She held a dress I hadn't worn yet, to her and examined herself in the full length mirror.

"Ooh, this would be too cute on me. Can I have it?" She said.

"No, and I don't tell you guys everything."

"Of course you don't."

She folded the dress over her arm then walked back over to the bed and sat down.

"So will we be shopping alone or will a gaggle of your friends be coming along too?" I asked.

"No of course not, just Caleb's sister Zyonna." She said while she eyed the old shabby night gown I wore with disdain.

"I thought Zyonna was your roommate?"

I pulled the covers up to my chest.

"Yes she is, and she is also Caleb's sister, who we are meeting at the mall in about an hour." Miah said as she tried to snatch the covers away.

"Miah, I don't want to go to the mall, I'm not like you, I don't look for every excuse to go shopping, I'm pretty sure there are some things in my wardrobe which will suffice." I said.

"You are not right, you never want to do the things I do, but I always find myself doing things with you, just last month, I went to five gun shows with you."

I exhaled loudly, pushing my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"Okay fine, but do we have to go the mall?"

"I went through your closet and you have nothing worth wearing in the Bahamas, all your closet consists of is scrubs, jeans, and t-shirts. Not even cute baby tees with catchy slogans, just plain white Hanes her way t-shirts." She said.

"Yet you found a dress you can't live without."

I rose from my bed and retrieved my robe from the closet door.

"Girl please, I'm doing this dress a favor, it's not like it's ever going to see the light of day messing around with you." She said.

Miah followed me to the kitchen. I knew if she had to, she would harass me all day until I agreed to go shopping with her.

"Don't you have class this morning?" I asked.

"I did have class this morning."

She opened my fridge and peered inside.

"So you are going to ditch class so you can go shopping?" I asked.

I grabbed my imported coffee grounds out of the cabinet.