Chapter 13

I booked a one p.m. flight to Nassau, Bahamas. The spontaneity of the trip would cost me, but I would pay the price ten times to finally speak with someone who had information about the Son's. I got moving early. I wanted to stop by the office before I left. Kenyon needed to know I was leaving. I made it to my office by ten a.m. that morning. Sherry was busy making coffee and running her mouth on the cordless phone. I walked to Kenyon's office prepared to knock.

"He is in with a client and asked not to be interrupted." Sherry tossed at me over her shoulder. I shot her a dirty look and headed for my own office. Inside my office I pulled the file I had been building since I was sixteen. The file was filled with all the human trafficking cases I believed was related to my sister's disappearance. The file was thin. Over the years I had barely found anything to fill it with.

Now finally after all these years I had come up with a lead that might prove promising.

"Antonio man, can I come in?" Kenyon asked from the other side of the door.

"Yeah come on in."

Kenyon stopped short at the sight of my bags which sat in one of the office chairs.

"Are you going somewhere?" Kenyon asked with a frown.

"I have to leave the country for a while on a case; I don't know how long I'm going to be gone," I said.

"Antonio you have a case waiting in my office. This case is your expertise, not mine." Kenyon said slapping his hand against a photo he held.

"K, it's about my sister. I have a lead and I have to take it before it's gone."

"Tell that to the woman in my office. Her sister is missing too. She has nowhere else to turn but you." He yelled.

"K, I'm sorry about her sister, but right now I'm only thinking about mine. I have waited years for an opportunity like this one to present itself. I'm not going to let it slip through my fingers." I yelled back.

My office door opened and hit Kenyon in the back. The force of the blow knocked him forward and the photograph that he held flew out of his hands and landed on my desk.

"Can you guys please keep your voices down? You have a client across the hall. It looks to damn unprofessional for you two to be yelling at each other like a couple of hoes fighting over a corner on the boulevard," Sherry hissed.

"She didn't hear us did she?" Kenyon asked.

"I don't see how she couldn't, considering that everyone in Ft. Lauderdale probably heard you," Sherry said. She shook her head and closed the office door. Kenyon looked at the closed door for a second then turned back to me.

"I'm sorry for coming down hard on you. Go find your sister," he said in a defeated voice with his shoulders sagging.

Remembering the picture on my desk, I reached down and picked it up.

"Hey K-"

The words died on my lips as I looked into a face I had not seen in years. Kenyon turned around and reached for the picture. I snatched the photo back to have a closer look. Was I hallucinating, could it be?

"Where the hell did you get this picture?" I asked.

I stumbled around my desk and grabbed Kenyon's arm.

"Antonio what the hell is wrong with you?" He replied, snatching his arm out of my grip.

"Where did you get it from?" I yelled.

"From the client in my office, she believes the-"

I didn't give him a chance to finish. I crossed the hall to Kenyon's office and flung open the door. The sight that awaited me there was one I could not believe. Was this a dream? Had I finally lost what was left of my mind? She paced around Kenyon's office as if she was a dangerous caged animal. Her movements were tensed but graceful. My body responded to her without my consent. My entrance startled her, she struck a defensive pose.