Chapter 12

It's been six damn months since the Sons took my sister, and they'd systematically attempted to lead me off course on several different occasions. There was no information to be found in Jamaica on Caleb, and the tip I received about Nepal almost got me abducted. The only thing that saved me was my warrior training I'd received every summer since the age five. I broke the man's arm in two places.

The authorities arrested the man, but I was asked to leave the country. The only thing I was sure of was my next step. Miami. I planned to pay A. Rodriguez a visit.

Donovan introduced me to an international arms dealer by the name of Ricardo Estrada. Since I couldn't exactly move a trunk full of military issued guns through customs, I needed transportation also. Again, Donovan assisted me with a resolution for that problem. He was able to find a Haitian named Jackson Calice, who'd agreed to smuggle me into Miami for a large amount of money.

It was worth every penny. I refused to be caught again unarmed. My cell rang. I checked the number before answering. Screening phone calls had become a necessity; I wanted no connection from my old life. Any distractions could be detrimental. I only kept in contact with Ruby and that was only to let her know I was still alive.

"What's up Ruby?" I answered.

I stepped out on the porch of the bungalow I was now staying in. Elizabeth said I could use the place for as long as needed, and I was grateful.  It afforded me much needed privacy. The bungalow sat on the edge of the hotel's property, and hardly anyone from the resort ever wandered over.

"Kayla baby, I'm so glad to hear your voice. I've called you for the past two weeks and all I got for my troubles is your damn voicemail. It scared me so bad, Jesus. I thought something had happened to you," Ruby said. Her tone accusing.

"I'm fine Ruby. I'm sorry can't answer all the time, but I am fine. I promise I won't allow anything to happen to me, not while Miah's still out there waiting to be found," I said.

"You can't make that promise girl. No better than your sister could," Ruby said.

"I'm going to find Miah and bring her back."

"I have no doubt you ain't gone stop looking until you find what you looking for, no matter the outcome," Ruby said, cautiously as if I was one turn away from losing my last screw.

"How are mom and dad?" I asked, choosing to ignore her skepticism.

"The same," she said, sighing into the phone. "Your daddy is always working and your mama never leaves her bed."

"Oh," I said, pressing a fist to my chest, hoping it would ease the stabbing ache.

"Look Kayla, I know you are more than able to look after yourself. But I still worry, though. I swear every time we talk I worry if it's gonna be the last time I hear your voice. I'm sorry but I can't live like this anymore," she paused, for a moment, and Kayla imagined in her mind's eye that she'd probably pressed the receiver to her breast like she always did when she heard bad news over the phone. "I talked to Big John, and he agreed to come out to watch your back."

"Ruby, I'm fine." I said

"He'll be flying in the day after tomorrow," she said, ignoring her.

"Ruby, I'm fine." I repeated in a firmer tone.

"No need to continue arguing with me Kayla it is already done. I would come myself but your parents need me here," Ruby said.

"Fine Ruby, but if he gets in my way I'll be packing him up and sending him right back to Georgia," I said.

"Good, have you found out anything since the last time we spoke?" Ruby asked.

"No. I keep running into dead ends."