Chapter 37

A lone man sat in his car watching the lights of the police cars and the ambulances as they zoomed by and entered the gates of the compound that he'd watched all day. Tonight was supposed to have been the night. It was the only night which ensured she'd not be harmed. Now there he sat feeling helpless. He didn't know what happened or how next to proceed. Such feelings were as foreign to him as the country he now inhabited. The door to the car opened and a man in all black slipped in.

"What can you tell me Jacques?" The man asked calmly as he raised the partition of the limo so the driver couldn't hear.

It wasn't that the man didn't trust his driver, he trusted him as much as he could trust anyone and that was not at all, save her. The man was a very private person, a loner. He only allowed people to know what he thought they should. He had lived his whole life that way and lived was the proof of the success of that concept.

"The girl has already been rescued, but not before she gave birth to Al-Esayi's son," The man said shifting a little hating to have to be the one to deliver the news.

"A son?" The other man said with surprise.

"Yes, Caleb. A son." The man answered. "It seems Al-Esayi was killed when he tried to shoot the waitress that delivered the baby."

"The woman, was she harmed in the cross fire?" Caleb asked softly, not realizing that he was holding his breath.

"No, neither the woman nor the waitress was harmed; another waiter jumped in front of the waitress, Al-Esayi shot him instead," Jacques said.

His senses were alert. When one met with Caleb no one was ever really sure about what the outcome could mean for them.

"Is there anything else I should know?" Caleb asked before he dismissed him.

"Yes, General Dahnay was there. It seems that the woman Ethan and his wife abducted was in fact the General's granddaughter," Jacques said.

"Has Seref heard about this yet?" Caleb asked slowly turning to look at Jacques.

"No." Jacques replied hoping like hell he had just given the right answer.

"Go brief the men and let them know tonight's mission has been aborted and I will be in touch." Caleb ordered dismissing Jacques with a wave of his hand. When Jacques exited the car Caleb's cell phone rang. The screen on the phone read private, Caleb answered without hesitation. "Hello?"

"We need to talk." The voice breathed into the cell phone.

"I'm aware of that." Caleb replied his tone chilled.

"I will contact you in a couple of days for a meeting," The voice said and the line went dead.

"I will be looking forward to it," Caleb said to himself, placing his cell back into his jacket pocket. He then pushed the intercom button that connected him to the driver.

"Drive." Caleb commanded and the car pulled away from the curb.