Chapter 18

I sat on the hood of the car waiting for Kenyon to come get us from the construction site. As I stared down at their lifeless bodies I wondered what it was about some people that reveled in causing others misery. I looked through the windshield at Antonio who sat quietly staring at a picture of Detective Douglas and his family. I knew that although he wouldn't show it, he was in pain thinking of the senseless way his friend was gunned down. He must have felt me watching him because he looked up at me and shook his head.

"Now his kids are going to have to grow up without a good man as their father all because of the greed of two men who don't deserve the air they breathe. It's something how the good is snuffed out and the evil keeps right on persevering." He said placing the picture back in the visor where he'd found it.

I remained silent because I knew he was neither looking for a comment or an answer from me.

"Kayla how did you know?" He asked standing up from the driver's seat and leaning in between the crack of the open car door.

"How'd           I know what?" I asked knowing full well what he was talking about but unsure if I really wanted to answer that question.

"You know what. How did you know that the car was going to blow? How did you know that Willoughby and Martinez would kill Douglas?" He asked staring at me with unblinking eyes.

"Honestly I don't know. I have always had these little feelings; I guess you would call them premonitions, since I could remember I always knew some things beforehand. Little things like if it would rain or not. But I can't explain it, since Jamiah disappeared these feelings have become more pronounced. I don't know," I said with a shrug. "Maybe stronger somehow. Now not only am I getting feelings in the pit of my stomach but I'm also having flashes of visions." I explained looking down at my hands not wanting to see the look in his eyes that would condemn me as being crazy. I watched as his hand slipped between my fingers and began to caress them with long steady strokes that in turn sped up the beat of my heart and made it difficult for me to swallow.

"You probably think I'm crazy don't you? Hell, most of the time I think I'm slowly going crazy. Seeing things that haven't happened yet, but knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will." I continued shaking my head.

Antonio slipped a finger under my chin and lifted my face so that I gazed into his chocolate brown eyes.

"Kayla, almost every night since I was sixteen I've had the same night mare that should've driven me to a psych ward a long time ago. But because of a beautiful guiding light, I've managed to hold down my sanity," He said, tracing the line of my jaw bone. "Now this shit may sound crazy, but that light is you."

"How can that be possible I only met-" I began.

"I don't know how it's possible. All I know is, that the light in you has always chased away the darkness that hunts me. Yeah, I could look at it as I'm losing my mind, but here you are." His lips grazed the side of my throat, and oxygen became that much harder to inhale. "Right in front of me breathing the same air that I breathe. This alone tells me that I'm not crazy. In fact the only insane thing about this entire situation is the strength of my control when it comes to you." His last sentenced was whispered as prelude to a kiss.

The attraction between us was magnetic, if not downright crazy. His energy was potent and affected my brain, in ways that only street drugs probably could. He had me open and accepting. It had been a while since anyone had taken me to that level. Those double edged emotions scared me shitless. The last time I'd succumbed to them the object of my being had damaged my soul.

Now here I teetered on the edge of another cliff as I tried to decide whether or not to take the fall.  Was this worth the impact of the concrete if we didn't work? Was he worth it? But as I stared into his Hershey kissed irises, I understood beyond my own shadow of reasoning that death would be my only option if his lips did not touch mine in the next half of second.