Chapter 25

I paced back and forth waiting for Roberto to come collect me. It wouldn't be long before he showed. On the outside I appeared calm, biding my time, but on the inside a cold clammy fear coursed through my very being. I had no idea if Antonio was alright or not. It took every ounce of discipline I had to hold myself in place so I wouldn't go racing out of the room to find him. I still needed answers and if we left now this entire plan would be for nothing. No, I had to stay put and wait for Roberto to come for me that was the only way I was going to find out what happened to my sister.

"Antonio it's me Bella." Bella hissed through the door with a sharp knock. I grabbed my gun off of the night stand by the bed not having even an inkling of trust for Bella. For all I knew she could have been the very cause of our exposure. I walked over to the door and cautiously opened it careful not to let Bella see that it was me that opened the door. When she walked in I closed it and before she could turn around my gun was at the back of her head. Her hands went up to let me see she was unarmed.

"What is it that you want with Antonio, Bella?" I asked keeping my words even and to the point.

"Rose, I'm not sure if Antonio told you about me, but I'm with the FBI. I'm not the enemy." Bella calmly spoke.

"Slowly turn around." I ordered ignoring her admission. She did what I said keeping her movements as smooth as possible. When she was facing me I immediately saw that she had been badly beaten, her face was a canvas of bruises, and her left eye was beginning to swell.

"Who did this to you?" I asked lowering my gun and going for my medical bag.

"I'll give you one guess." Bella responded sighing with relief that she was no longer staring down the barrel of my gun.

"So he knows about you too." I stated as I directed her over to the chair that sat in the middle of the room.

"He's known since I came here who I was, he admitted that in between the punches and kicks. Said that if the FEDS were going to continue to fuck him then why not fuck the FEDS for a while, literally." She said wincing from the sting of the alcohol I applied to the cuts on her face.

"The smug son of a bitch." I mumbled to myself as I finished up doing what I could for Bella's face.

"Does it feel like anything's broken?" I questioned, trying to measure how useful she could be to me and my plan.

"Maybe a cracked rib or two but I'll survive. Where's Antonio?" She asked looking around the room and then swinging her eyes back to me.

"Roberto has him. He's holding him in his office and is planning to release him to one of his business associates." I explained.

"That doesn't surprise me; from my sources in the bureau Antonio has stepped on a lot of people's toes in the human trafficking business and has several contracts on his head that ranges all the way up to the seven figure pay grade. Roberto wants to collect."

"That explains why he's keeping him alive," I said to myself.

"Well come on and let's go get him, I'm assuming you do have a way off of this island." Bella said rising from the chair.

"No not yet, Roberto should be on his way here soon and he has some information that's valuable to me. I have to wait for him." I replied hating myself for not heading out the door right then and there to get Antonio. Bella stared at me for a while before she spoke.

"What can I do to help?"

                                                              *****

I woke up with a ringing in my ears and a banging headache. I could taste blood in my mouth, but ignored it trying instead to remember what had happened to me.