Chapter 14

In my room I had time to think about all the things I had just learned from Antonio and Kenyon. People were actually still being sold in this day and age. How could this still be happening? The pressure was now on with a vengeance for me to find Miah. I couldn't bear the thought of her being sold or bought by anyone. Miah being made to perform depraved acts on someone's whim made me sick with disgust and worry. I thought about Detective Rodriguez and the pain he had been carrying with him all these years. God how did he sleep at night, not knowing what had come of his sister?

My mind drifted to earlier that morning when he charged into Mr. Michael's office like a bull. When Antonio appeared in Kenyon's office doorway, the first sight of him made my body freeze and melt all at the same time. I felt almost as if I was drowning in his eyes, which happened to be the exact color of my favorite chocolate bar.

Those feelings definitely put me off balance. I abhorred not being able to control my own emotions. My attraction to Detective Rodriguez took me by surprise. The pull I felt to him was absolutely magnetic. I could tell by the way he carried himself he was use to women falling all over themselves for him and he expected no different from me. Well that was not going to happen. The only interest I would allow myself to have in him, was that which concerned my sister and nothing else. I dropped down on the hotel bed and lay back on the mattress. My mind floated back to all of the pictures of dead victims that lay scattered across Kenyon's desk.

My thoughts became gruesome. The victims faces changed and I began to see Miah in various poses of death. That could be her in one of those folders. An old case in a dusty file cabinet. No I had to stop thinking like that, Miah was not dead.

                                                               *****

A banging on my hotel room door startled me awake. I sat up, shook the last fragments of sleep away and watched as the door knob began to turn. I grabbed my automatic from underneath my pillow and eased out of the bed. I approached the window to see who it was. Detective Rodriguez stood outside the door. I put my jacket on and then slid the gun in the waist line of my jeans. When I opened the door Detective Rodriguez glanced down at his watch he then looked back at me and frowned.

"Oh, I must have forgotten to tell you that where we're going the garbage look is frowned upon."

Detective Rodriguez looked me up and down, his eyes stopping on the hunting boots which were laced up tight on my feet.

"Yeah, well I guess the tired eighties Miami Vice look is back in again." I replied taking in his all black Gucci leisure suit. Damn he looked good and smelt better. Focus Kayla, this is not about him and you, but about Miah.

"Damn Angel, no need to be vicious you can change, I'll wait," He said, brushing pass me into my room without an invitation.

"I'm fine, besides I packed light for the trip," I said, grabbing my back pack off the chair.

"Packed light, what are you talking about? There go a trunk full of clothes right there." He replied pointing to my trunk of goodies in the corner.

"That is not appropriate attire for where ever it is we're going." I answered walking to the door letting him know the conversation of me changing was over. He gave me a funny look and looked back at the trunk in the corner of the room.

"Cool, if you like it, who would I be not to love it."

I followed him down to the hotel parking lot. We walked until we finally reached an all-black new model Camaro sitting on all black costume made rims. The vanity plates on the front of the car read Daddy's Bad Girl. I gave Antonio an 'are you serious' look.