Chapter 38

It had been almost a week since we rescued Miah and delivered her son and my nephew. He was the most gorgeous baby that I had ever laid eyes on and I'm not just saying that because he is my nephew. Everyone says that he looked just like me, but I say that he looks just like his mother except for the eyes. Instead of Miah's dark green eyes, the baby's eyes were steel gray. This bothered me on so many levels. Miah chose the name Jaden David Nichols for her son, opting not to give him Amir's last name.

Antonio thank god, was not seriously injured when he threw himself in the path of the bullet that was meant for me. The bullet lodged itself in his right shoulder and was successfully removed with surgery. He too was due to be released from the hospital tomorrow. But among all of these blessings and gifts we had been bestowed by God, Carmen seemed to be the biggest gift of all. She told us the story of how she was taken from the refugee camp and had been immediately sold to Amir sixteen years ago. She said that she accepted her fate so easily because she was told her children were dead.

Without them her life she had once known seized to have meaning. So she became the Dorri that Amir had renamed her and never looked back. A lot of the scars that Antonio received the night he thought his mother died began to heal. However, the other scars of losing his sister only deepened and brought him a new resolve of finding her. Things had become hard for me and Antonio since the night we rescued Miah. Whenever I came around he always became silent and only spoke to me to answer a question. It was like the bond between him and I had been severed and though he was near, he was lost. Lost to me.

"Okay, this silence is starting to drive me absolutely crazy," Miah said throwing her hands in the air and accidentally knocking the nurse call button off of her hospital bed.

"What?"

"You, standing over there brooding like a tortured artist. I mean, you'd think it was your fiancé who'd had you abducted and sold into slavery." Sarcasm coated Miah's tone.

"I'm sorry Miah." I replied automatically.

"Stop apologizing to me, Kayla! None of this is your fault." Miah sighed.

"I know, but I should have been there to begin with, I should have-"

"Prevented 9/11 because your crystal ball told beforehand that the twin towers would have a plane fly into them. Face it Kayla, the world is not your responsibility, I'm not your responsibility. And I'm not trying to be mean, but I need you to know this so you want constantly blame yourself when something happens to anyone you love which is out of your control," Miah said staring at me with those big green eyes I'd missed so much.

"You put on a brave face, little sister. I know you're hurting, though. What Caleb did-," tears filled her eyes, before she turned away. I let the subject of Caleb drop and moved on to my point, "I could rescue you ten thousand times but never be able to save you from the hurt your feeling right now, and for that I do apologize. Betrayal's a pain I hoped you'd never have to know. It changes you and redefines how you see everything around you," I said walking over to her hospital bed to sit down and touch her cheek.

"I'll admit that I've been suffering ever since you told me Caleb was responsible for what happened to me. It hurts even more to realize that I still love him. But I refuse to let bitterness take control of my life, Kayla. Even through all of my faults and the deplorable decisions I've made in the past, I'm still a woman of god. All of my faith is in him. Everything happens for a reason and though right now it may be hard to find, but God is good. My beautiful baby boy is proof." Miah said her eyes shining with unshed tears. My sister was the rarest soul I had ever known. Only she would be able to find a silver lining in pitch black struggle.