Chapter 26

"Kayla?" Antonio called.

Thank you for sparing his life, God. While momentarily distracted, the woman took advantage of the opportunity to kick the gun out of my hand. She tried to follow up the kick with a blow from the briefcase, but I blocked her with the hand that held the gun and struck her in the throat with the forearm of my left arm.

I smashed her in the bridge of her nose with the bottom of my right palm. Her neck snapped back. Without giving her the chance to regain her balance I delivered a swift kick to her stomach. She must have anticipated the kick because she swept the foot that anchored me. I landed flat on my back. The air left my lungs in a gush.

Standing over me meaning to deal a death blow, she brought the spiked heel of her boot down and I caught it only inches from my face. Tired of playing with this bitch, I threw her across the room and she collided with the desk. I jumped to my feet and charged over to her just as she climbed to her hands and knees. Not hesitating I kicked her. The steel toe of my hunting boots connected with her ribs, breaking at least two of them in the process.

I snatched the phone off of the desk and slammed it down on her head rendering her unconscious. Once satisfied that she wouldn't get back up, I hurried around the desk to where Antonio lay.

"Antonio, can you hear me?" I yelled, gently slapping his face.

He moaned and then winced. "Kayla? Thank God you're alright. I thought Roberto would've taken you far away by now," Antonio said while trying to sit up.

"Roberto want be bothering anyone for the next sixteen hours at least, but in the mean time we have to get the hell off of this island. Can you stand?" I asked helping him into a sitting position.

"Yeah but walking is not going to get us off of this island." Antonio mumbled looking around the office and frowning.

"Kayla, there was a woman; she was here for money. Money I think that came from the sale of your sister. She can give us the answers we're looking for." At that moment out the corner of my eye I saw the woman that I'd left unconscious only moments before, rise and rush toward the door hesitating only long enough to pick up the briefcase as she went. I wrenched the gun from the holster around my thigh and fired two shots. I missed her by a fraction of an inch at least.

"I never miss." I muttered to myself.

"Kayla you have to go after her. She's your last chance at finding out where they took your sister." Antonio yelled slapping the palm of his hand down on the carpeted floor in frustration.

"Antonio, calm down it is okay. I already have the information we need. My number one priority right now is getting us safely off this island." I replied, helping him to his feet, he wobbled a little at first but seemed stable enough after a couple of seconds. As we made our way to the door the other limp form lying on the floor reached up and grabbed Antonio's leg. I aimed my gun at the body out of reflex.

"Kayla, no it's okay." Antonio kneeled down beside the battered man, surrounded by a pool of blood.

"Victor, we're going to get you out of here," Antonio said as he frowned down at the gaping hole in the man's chest.

"No, it's too late for me, but them." He coughed and blood slid from the corners of his mouth. "My family. You promised." The grip he had on Antonio's pants leg loosened, and then his hand fell back to the blood soak carpet. He was gone.

"Your family will be taken care of, Victor." Antonio whispered to him.

"Come on Antonio we have to go now. Our window is closing." I said pulling him to his feet. When we made it out into the hall the guard I clipped in the head still lay where I'd dropped him. Bella and Lola came rushing down the hall.