Chapter 8

Two weeks had passed since my parents had come to the Bahamas and we still knew absolutely nothing. My parents offered up a large reward to anyone who had information about Miah's disappearance. All that had gotten us was numerous fortune hunters and a bunch of false leads which wasted everyone's time. My days were spent scouring the island with Miah's picture the outcome was always the same, no one had seen her or Zyonna.

I tried to call Caleb but I was told by his business partner that Caleb had to fly out of the country on an emergency deal and he wasn't expected back for the next few weeks. It struck me as odd because he and Miah were supposed to be getting married this weekend. I left a message with Caleb's partner to have him call us as soon as possible and he promised he would relay the message to him; I was still waiting on his call. The whole thing about Caleb bothered me and when I mentioned it to dad he shrugged it off saying how Caleb was undependable and how this whole ordeal just gave credence to the theory.

As the days passed our hope began to dwindle, the authorities had pretty much given up on finding Miah alive, and went as far as to say that maybe we should stop looking at this as a rescue and start thinking about it as a recovery. That advice almost gave mom a nervous breakdown and dad was almost arrested for assault on an officer. Emotions were riding high, and our frustration was starting to show in everything we did and said. One day when I arrived back at the penthouse after putting more fliers up around the island, I overheard mom and dad having a heated argument. I had heard them argue before but this was different, the argument was more intense.

"If they don't have her then where is she Amelia? This is an island, how do you disappear from and island with no one being the wiser, you tell me that?" Dad said.

"I don't know Gabriel, but is that not a bit of a stretch? To believe after all of this time and with no warning they would exact their revenge by taking our daughter, this paranoia has to stop. Damn it to bloody hell, our little girl is missing and all you can think of is them and the bloody heart of Africa." Mom shouted.

"No warning? Do you happen to believe that all of this is one big coincidence? Her bringing him home and coming to the Bahamas where she conveniently turns up missing? If you believe that then I guess I have been the only one watching our backs for all these years." Dad said raising his voice with every word. At that moment a cell phone ringed and my parent's argument came to a halt. It took me a second to realize it was Miah's phone which was still in my purse since I had gotten it back from the front desk. I quietly backed away from the bedroom door and when I got to the living room I made a swift get away to my room.

What kind of secret could my parents be keeping that would make them think someone had taken Jamiah as some kind of act of revenge? Miah's phone beeped in my purse indicating the caller had left a message. I quickly fished the cell phone from my purse and opened it up to take a look at the caller I.D. on the screen read missed call from Caleb. I hit the talk button to call his phone back and his answering machine came on. I left a brief message for him to call me back. I then checked Miah's phone message. Caleb's voice came through the earpiece of the cell.

"Jamiah, I don't think I'm ready for this commitment. Please forgive me and try not to hate me. I wanted to talk to you before the wedding date but circumstances wouldn't allow it. I will always love you. Goodbye my queen."

What the hell was that all about had he really just broken up with my sister on a damn cell phone message?

Boy did she know how to pick 'em, and what did he mean about, standing her up at alter? Did he really not know my sister and his for that matter have been missing for the better part of two weeks? Didn't he get any of my messages? I punched in the number that was programmed into Miah's phone as Caleb's office hoping that I could speak to his business partner again. All I got though was an operator telling me the number had been disconnected and no further information was available. I sucked in a gulp of air trying to wrap my head around this and then I heard a tentative tap on the bedroom door.