Flowers & Tension

Y/N POV
The first thing I notice the next morning is the lack of an Elizabeth in my bed and I sit up quickly searching for her. My eyes have black spots for a second due to the quick change in orientation and I look around quickly. I pout thinking I dreamed the previous day but look down at my arm and know it was real. Where the fuck is my girlfriend. I get up and get ready for my day, a confused frown on my face until I notice my keys are missing. Oh, she's out doing something.

Once I'm ready for work I check my phone and there aren't any messages. She must be coming back soon, she wouldn't just leave me alone without telling me. Wow, I've gotta get over my need to be with her constantly. I perk up when I hear keys turning and turn my attention to my door. She comes in a huge bouquet of flowers in one hand and a brown paper bag in the other.

"Good morning baby, happy early birthday." She greets, pecking my lips and handing me the flowers.

"For me?"

"Of course for you, I know your birthday is tomorrow but since we will have another house guest tomorrow I wanted to start celebrating with you today." She explains.

"I love them, thank you, Angel" I lean down giving her another kiss. I move to find a vase for them and fill it with water.

"Let me do that, here I got you a bagel too." We switch the bagel and flowers and I smile at her gesture.

"This is sweet, thank you, babe." I sit on my desk chair. I munch on my bagel and keep an eye on the time while I watch Lizzie move around my apartment, situating the flowers. She turns to me, an unreadable expression on her face.

"Um, I left something out of my trip because I wanted to tell you in person." She admits. "And I want to tell you now, so we can figure it out and have a good birthday weekend." She explains.

I swallow the food in my mouth, " Okay? What happened?"

"You know how I met with Robbie?" She starts and I nod, my stomach dropping slightly.

"Uh, what I told you was true, I just left out a few details. We talked a little more about us and it went great actually. Uh, except he was under the impression we were only on a break and having fun while apart. He uh. He thought we would eventually get back together, so he kind of kissed me in greeting." She explains carefully. I stare at her, processing her words. So far, it's not great but it's not her fault.

"I uh. I kissed him back out of reflex, but it didn't mean anything. We talked a lot about where we are at and I made it clear that we are done for good. And that we can be friends but we wouldn't be getting back together. I gave him back the ring and everything." She continues, slightly more rushed. I look down at my lap hearing that she kissed him, but I can forgive it, I get the reflex since they were together for so long and about to be married.

"We may have been pictured together." She drops the bomb and I sigh with a nod. Yup, that complicates things. "My team is taking care of it, saying it was a work meeting which it was, thankfully no pictures of us kissing were taken otherwise it would be a shit show, but uh. I still wanted to be 100% honest with you." She finishes, staying in place leaning against my kitchen counter. I nod a few times taking it in. It's not great, but it could be worse.

"Uh, okay. Thanks for being honest." I reply calmly.

"Of course, I know that's like the most important thing to you along with communication, so here I am doing those things." She explains.

"And I appreciate it, a lot. Like a lot so thank you. I think I just need a minute to process." I explain, feeling sort of numb although not angry at her at all. The thought of them kissing keeps running through my head even though I understand the situation. I turn to my computer since I have to start teaching. It's the last day of the year so I want to have a good, fun day with my students. I take another deep breath and start my day.

The rest of the day is slightly tense, but work was fun. I'm going to miss the kiddos. Lizzie gives me space and I work. She went to get groceries, went on a walk, went shopping, and is now back making a snack since I skipped lunch. I'm trying to figure out how I feel about it. I understand why she didn't tell me over facetime, why she told me today, and why she kissed him back. I understand it all and I'm not mad, but there's still that nagging feeling that something is bothering me. I'm trying to ignore it, but I know it's my insecurities. My mind is thinking that the same thing is happening like I'm going to get my heart broken, but the other part of me trusts her completely. I'm fighting against instincts that I have due to past relationships. But, I can't treat this one like my past ones since it's completely different. My mind is having a hard time with that part. As the battle continues, she sets down a peanut butter sandwich.

"Can I have a hug?" I ask timidly.

"Of course, Princess." She pulls me up into a comforting hug, her hands rubbing up and down my back and my face snuggled into her neck.

"I"m not mad, or annoyed, or anything. I understand the situation completely. There's still this nagging feeling because my brain is triggered and trying to force me to run when my heart knows that I trust you completely. I can't let past relationships dictate how I treat this one. I can learn from them, but I can't let past traumas ruin something that makes me so happy, over a dumb kiss. The part of me that's broken from my first relationship, where she fell out of love is trying to convince me it's happening again and I really don't want that to be true." I try to explain what's going on.

"I'm not her. I'm not falling out of love with you, and I hope your heart knows that because I'm stuck on your heart" she starts and I smile at the song reference. "Your feelings are valid, your response is valid because of your past experiences and you aren't broken. I know you don't want past relationships to inform how this one goes, but sometimes you learn from those experiences and your brain can't help but be triggered by certain things. All experiences are learning experiences, right? Maybe this one can teach us something too." She responds calmly.

"Using my own words against me?" I tease lightly. "I'm going to be okay, we are going to be fine. My heart knows your heart. I trust you. I just need my brain to catch up and stop building the walls you so easily tore down back up." I assure her.

"Can I kiss you?" She asks quietly.

"Please do." I nod and fall into the kiss, melting at how gentle she is with me, afraid that I'll break. I pull away. "Still better than him right?" I smirk and she rolls her eyes before nodding.

"I hope that you are the last person I will ever kiss in my lifetime." She says sweetly.

"I don't think that's realistic cuz you kiss people for your job babe." I tease.

"Okay, I think you're feeling better smart ass." She teases back.

"Does the mean hot make-up/welcome home sex?" I smirk

"How about make-up/welcome home/birthday sex?" She adds in.

"If that means three rounds then I'm down." I wink.

"You're annoying but who says we need to stop at 3?" She quirks her eyebrows. My smirk grows and I bend down throwing her over my shoulder. Her squeal and giggles fill my apartment and my body finally relaxes from the slightly stressful day. I'm 100% ready for this long night before my mother comes tomorrow. Let the fun begin.
______________________________________________________________________________________
A/N Someone called it that something happened with Robbie, so get out of my head! Haha, anyway I hope you enjoy! The next chapter will be smut and will be coming tomorrow. After that your mom comes to visit. See ya tomorrow! (I didn't edit so hopefully it makes sense)