36

« Always chasing a ride,
but ain't you mine? »

﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡

I was texting Imari goodnight when Ate Steffi entered the room. She just looked at me without saying anything pero ngumiti pa rin ako sa kanya which she didn't respond to.

I have a gut feeling that she hates me and I don't even know why. Feeling ko rin, ako ang dahilan kung bakit siya tumigil sa pagkain kanina at umakyat na sa kwarto niya. Maybe she doesn't want me to stay the night here or she really doesn't like me in general.

She just finished drying her hair when she turned around to give me a blanket and a pillow.

"Thank you, Ate..." sabi ko lang sa kanya, at nanatili siyang walang imik sa akin.

Kasya naman kami ni Ate Steffi sa kama. It's a queen-sized bed actually at sa katunayan, kasya pa ang isang tao dito kung sakali. Hindi na rin ako umimik ulit at tumalikod na lang sa kanya pero hindi pa ako humiga. I just checked my phone to check Imari's reply and he just told me he's sorry and he'll make it up to me sa susunod naming date. Napahagikhik ako nang magsend siya ng picture niyang nakahiga sa kama habang naka-peace sign, at nag-goodnight na sa akin.

"I don't know if you're aware of this already," narinig kong sabi ni Ate Steffi, but I'm not sure if she's talking to me o baka may kausap siya sa phone. "But I don't like you for my brother."

Natigilan ako sa pagtatype nang marinig ko ang sinabi ni Ate Steffi. It's clear that she's talking to me now.

Humarap ako sa kanya ang it's that look again. It's that damn look again. I'm used to seeing people looking at me with disgust on their faces, but its doesn't mean that it hurts less.

"You think I wouldn't know you?" sabi niya sa akin. "You're just some slut who waves your ass in front of others and will literally suck anyone's dick."

Narinig ko ang pagbukas ng pinto at sabay kaming napalingon doon ni Ate Steffi. Pumasok kaagad si Ate Irene at agad na nilock ang pinto. "Just what nonsense are you spouting, Steffi?"

"You know nothing, Ate," sabi ni Ate Steffi, and I just sat there looking pitiful and can't even defend myself. "That girl is a whore. Everyone knows that at school! She's just pretending she isn't and you all are stupid to believe her!"

I felt the weight of Ate Irene's stare at me and I just looked away.

"Tell me," sabi ulit ni Ate Steffi. "What the hell do you want from my brother? You are so disgusting. Eating with you alone makes me want to puke."

So that explains why she left earlier even though she didn't even finish half of her plate. She can't even stand being in the same room with me. It's a bad idea that I decided to stay the night here. Akala ko naman ay sadyang snobbish lang si Ate Steffi and she won't really talk to anyone if they won't initiate the conversation, but I guess I was wrong. It is very obvious that she hates me. To be precise, she does not like someone like me for his brother.

"Stop it, Steffi," galit na sabi ni Ate Irene, pero hindi pa rin tumitigil si Ate Steffi.

"My brother is too good for you. He does not deserve someone like you! Why did you even come here. Have some conscience, you filthy slut!" galit niya ulit na sabi. "Ewan ko kung ano'ng nasa isip ni Imari, but he could've chosen someone else. Matalino naman siya pero hindi pa matino ang napiling dalhin dito sa bahay!"

"Steffi, I'm warning you."

I tried so hard to calm down, but I can really feel my lips trembling. I kept on blinking rapidly so I could clear the tears away and wished they would just dry up this instant.