Learning

Alice's POV

There I stood. Facing him. Facing the one who ruined my life. Standing in a bare field with nothing but a single oak tree and yellowish grass. The sky just about at sun set with a pink glow.

'Daughter' he spoke with sadness in his tone

'Thanos'

'Please forgive me for what I'm to do soon. I wish no harm to you'

I couldn't hold in the laugh the escaped my lips.
'You are the only cause of my harm'

'I made you feared throughout the universe! I made you valuable, unique'

'What you say may be true though I didn't ask for any of it. I would be happy living normally'

His eyes darkened as he advanced towards me but I held my ground.

'How would this happy life go' he sneered

'I move out of New York. To somewhere peaceful and settle down there'

'Settle down?' He questioned

'With the one I desire to be with'

'Love has no place in life. Only drags you down daughter, the sooner you learn this the better. But tell me, who would this be?' He said but I kept my eye on the single oak tree behind him.

'I'm not sur-'

'Adrian? Let me tell you. It's all fake' he laughed 'you see. The only reason I haven't done anything about Thor and Loki going to get what is needed to undo this is because I didn't want it done in the first place.'

'What? Wait. What are you talking about' I said all of a sudden feeling breathless

'If you really think I would willingly allow my daughter to be betrothed to a weak, miserable coward and sad excuse of a king then your mistaken. After he killed his father so he could be king, which happened not long after you arrived, he's done nothing but plan to kill Loki. To take you from him.'

'Elaborate more. Please' I pleaded

'In his eyes Loki has everything. And he wants it. Wants it all. Once he saw you and heard your name he informed me straight away, you see my army and I stay in vanaheim, we have for many years, it's somewhere we don't have to worry about people coming to try to kill us, it would simply end in their life being taken.'

I sat down in the grass. It moving so slightly against the breeze. 'What do you plan to do when you find the rest of the stones?' I asked dreading the answer

'I'll bring refuge to the universe. End starvation, end poverty. End all problems. I'm saving the universe' he said and I could tell by what he was saying he truly believed it

'And how can that be done?'

'By wiping half of them out'

I let out a shaky breath. 'You can't do that'

'Once I find the last two stones I can'

'Two? I though you needed three more?'

'Full of questions' he laughed and held his goblet covered hand up to show he now has the soul stone.

'How?'

'It cost a lot...' he looked at it, sadness in his stare

'You payed for it? '