Chapter 3- Surprise!

"Can someone help me study for my history test?" I ask one day to no one in particular. Everyone is at the apartment, doing their own thing, and thankfully Jimin tells me he's free to help.

We end up sitting in his room, him holding a jumble of flashcards I made, quizzing me. "Man, high school history," he shakes his head. "I do not remember it."

I laugh. "You make it sound like you're so old. You're literally twenty. You like just turned twenty."

He groans and stretches. "I feel old. I hear bones cracking." 

"Having that mid-life crisis, I see."

Jimin nods. "I'm gonna need a cane soon, at this rate."

"When you need one, I'll be the first one you can yell at to 'get off your lawn'." I chuckle. "It would be my honor."

He laughs, making me smile. "I'll text you then."

I nod, and he goes back to testing me. AP history is just blah. Bunch of white dudes started a new country. Yay. I think we all have heard the story. A ton of times.

Jimin asks me a question, but I don't hear it. I'm so zoned out. "What?" I ask him.

He starts to repeat it, but then the card slips out of his hand. We both go to pick it up at the same time, but both recoil, seeing the other reaching for it. That back-and-forth happens like five times before Jimin grabs my shoulder to stop me and he picks it up himself. I blush, embarrassed by my awkwardness.

"That could've been a disaster," he laughs, unshaken.

I grin too.

His phone goes off. He checks it, appearing uninterested at first, but then his eyes go wide. "Oh shoot!" He stands up in a rush, the flashcards fluttering to the floor. "I gotta go, I'll be back!"

I try to say something, but he's out in a flash, no explanation given. Confused, I turn back to my schoolwork, annoyed that my teacher planned a test so close to my birthday. I'm going to be turning nineteen tomorrow. I'm actually on the older side for senior year, I shouldn't turn nineteen until next year, but I went into school a bit late.

I study for a few hours, and Jimin still doesn't come back. I bite my lip, starting to feel anxious. At some point, I leave the room and start to head downstairs. Immediately, Jin pops out of the shadows and blocks my path, yelling, "Don't!"

"Woah, woah, woah," I say. "What's going on?"

Jin turns around, his hands still spread in the doorway. "I'm sorry, I can't let you out."

I start to ask why when I see Namjoon walking towards us. "Jin, you were supposed to keep her distracted, without her knowing, not barricade her in the room!"

Jin starts to complain about everything being too complicated, and Namjoon just sighs. I giggle. "Really, guys, what's going on?"

Jin takes my arm. "Let's just go wait downstairs and then we'll tell you everything."

I half-heartedly follow him. "Okay...."

We sit on the couch downstairs, Jin checking his phone like every three seconds.

After waiting for a while, I decide to grab a snack. I'm rummaging through the cabinets when suddenly the lights go off. I spin around anxiously. "What's going on?" I ask, but the place seems to be silent. "Jin?"

No response.

I go to turn the lights back on, confused, when suddenly I hear footsteps approaching and someone shrieks "surprise!"