Chapter 22- Anniversary

"There's something you don't know about me," Jimin brings up randomly one day. 

"No, no," I respond sarcastically. "I think I actually know everything about you."

"You are literally the most sarcastic person I've ever met."

"Am I? I had no idea."

He chooses to ignore my yet-again sarcastic comment. "There's something interesting I haven't told you. I haven't been sure how you'll take it."

"Are you secretly a werewolf or a vampire? If so, I'll still love you, vampires are pretty hot," I reply deadpan.

"Yes. You have figured out my secret. You'd better run before I suck your blood."

I laugh. "You'd literally be the least scary vampire ever. You'd be like a cute, innocent looking vampire."

"Those are the ones you least expect," he responds. 

"Guess that's true."

"So, can I continue on with my story?" He laughs.

"Right, yes, go on."

"So, you know how Tae set us up sort of on that double date, because he wanted to hang out with Marisa, and to make it less awkward he brought you and me?"

I nod. 

"The thing is, it wasn't just his idea. I know I seemed uninterested when we were there, but really, I had seen you before, and part of me I guess wanted to learn more about you," he mutters, not really looking at me. 

"What?" I demand. "Where had you seen me?"

"It was when we were younger...." he starts.

(flashback, from young Hanna's perspective)

"Do you guys know Mark," my friend snickers, nodding over to a quiet boy in the corner of the room, large circular glasses covering his face. 

"No," I shrug. Our middle school is large, it's not like I know everyone. 

"He is such a nerd," he whispers, laughing. "I mean, look at him, he's just so awkward and look at those big glasses," he shudders. "I am so glad I don't look like him."

My skin prickles at that comment. "You don't need to be rude to him," I mutter to him, annoyed. 

He just laughs again. "Aw, c'mon, you can't say that you don't agree with me!"

I just sit there in silence. A few minutes later, I see a group of people walk up to the boy, and my hopes soar, thinking people are finally sitting with him. Instead I hear laughter and mean words and I see the poor boy's face looking both scared and upset. So I get up off my seat, walk over to them, and call them off. "You guys need to back off," I tell them furiously. 

They're laughing, and I'm not. Eventually, they get bored and leave, and I sit down with the boy. "I'm really sorry about that," I say him. "They're jerks."

He nods, staring at the floor. "Thank you. And yes, they are. Just wait until I'm older and I finally show them how much better I am," he spits in spite. 

I'm surprised by this outburst, but also impressed. "That's right!"

I sit with him that day, I acknowledge him in the halls, and everything goes on as normal. We don't become best friends, or even friends in general, but I accept him and smile at him. 

And that was enough. 

(end of flashback)