Chapter 6- Friends Again?

"Do you guys want to go watch the sunset tonight?" Namjoon asks us. We're lazily lounging around, playing exaggerated games of poker, complaining dramatically when we lose a penny or two.

"Yeah!" Taehyung smiles.

The rest nod enthusiastically as well. So we pile into the SUV, the seven of us. When I blandly ask where Jimin is, I'm met with blank stares and frantic glances back and forth. Namjoon struggles for a lie. "He's, um, he's, on a date?"

I roll my eyes. "Good job. If I didn't already know you were all lying to me, I would've figured it out right there."

He grimaces. "I'm sorry. Jimin's being stupid."

"Why is he avoiding me?"

This time Yoongi speaks up. "Look, Hanna, he's just trying to figure things out. He still wants to be your friend, it's just, well, you made it awkward." He smiles gummily at me. It's enough to make anyone smile too.

"Wait a minute. Did he tell you what I did??"

Yoongi freezes. "Um."

Caught.

"No, no," Jin adds from the driver's seat. "Jungkook told us."

I swivel around in my seat and give the death stare to the youngest. He smiles innocently. "Youuuu," I say. "Really? Now everyone knows!"

Jungkook laughs. "It was too exciting!"

I see Taehyung smile in the rearview mirror. "It's true. Jungkook was bursting with excitement. I think he's probably bored. There's been no drama and no relationships for Jimin for like forever." He wraps his arms around me from behind, his cheek resting on the headrest of the seat. "But now you've given us hope for him."

I laugh and roll my eyes again. "You all realize that he's like actively avoiding me right? Plus, I don't like him anyway. It was a dumb mistake, you know?" I think I'm trying to convince myself.

"Nooooo," Hobi moans. "Pleaseeeee, you guys would be so cute together!"

"Aw, you guys are too precious. But really, I'm fine with how things are. If Jimin doesn't wanna talk, that's fine."

Hobi harrumphs. The car represses into silence again. After a twenty minute drive, we arrive at the beach, the sun already setting lower in the sky. Jin parks the car and we tumble out, singing and dancing. We all race through the sand, laughing, and then eventually settle down to watch the sunset. At some point, someone's phone starts buzzing. "Ugh, c'mon, we should turn off our phones! Be in nature." Hobi says. There's some murmuring of agreement. But Jungkook grabs the phone, holding up a finger to motion us to give him a second.

Namjoon rolls his eyes.

I stare at the beautiful waves of color in the sky, feeling at ease. The wind is light but fresh, and the ocean is a deep blue, spanning as far as you can see. It's so pretty. Suddenly I hear a burst of laughter from behind me. I startle out of my daze.

"Oh my god, Jungkook! You sly, sly man!" Jin looks appalled, but proud. Yoongi is laughing silently, shaking his head.

"What is it?" I ask, turning around. It's already pretty dark too.

Namjoon just sighs, and points. Hobi is dying laughing. "You're good Jungkook, you're good."

That's when I see a figure walking up to us. Jungkook is smiling, watching him. He looks so proud of himself.

I realize who the figure is as he spots me. Jimin.

***********

I just stare at him, at war with myself, a complete lack of words. Hobi is patting Jungkook on the back. Apparently, as far as I can tell, Jungkook pretended that he and Jimin were gonna hang out together, roping him in, while also making up an excuse for me to be at the same beach. A clever trap by a clever man.

Jimin walks over slowly, and starts to whisper to Jungkook. Everyone goes silent when he finally walks over to me. "Hey," he says. "We should probably talk."

I nod. "Um, sure, yes." I can feel the other guys' eyes on us as we start to walk down the sandy beach. I don't look at him, keeping my gaze on the wet ground in front of me.

"Why did you-" Jimin starts.

"I just wanted to say-" I begin at the same time. "You- you go."

He nods. "Well, I don't really even know what to say. I guess I'll just start with the fact that I'm sorry I've been avoiding you. I just- I wanted some time to think."

I don't say anything and he takes that as a cue to keep talking. "I was just taken off guard. I don't know if I gave you the wrong idea about us, or-?"

Oh hell no. "No, no, no," I promise him. "That was all my fault. I just wasn't thinking straight. I was just sad. It meant nothing."

"Nothing?" He questions.

"Nothing."

"Okay, then. Can we go back to just being friends, then?"

I nod happily. "Yes, please! I hated myself for ruining it. I just want things to be back to normal." I do, I really do. It was just a momentary blimp in my sanity. Just because he's pretty doesn't mean I have a crush on him.

Jimin finally smiles. "Great."

We walk a bit further through the damp sand, both of us thinking silently. Eventually we turn around and head back to the group, all of whom immediately cease their conversation as we arrive, Hobi grinning. "Subtle," Jimin laughs.

"Definitely," I grin, and then look at Jungkook. "And you, really?"

He smiles cutely. "Did it work?"

Jimin nods. "Thanks Jungkook. Everything's back to normal now."

Jungkook's and Hobi's smiles fade.

"What do you mean 'back to normal'"?

"Like no more issues, we're good, we can all hang out again." I add in.

Taehyung frowns. "Wait so you're not together?"

Jimin bursts out laughing at this statement.

Ouch.

"You're not kidding?" he asks Taehyung, who shakes his head.

"We all thought you guys were gonna be a thing."

Jimin laughs again, a cute little laugh that brings a small smile to my face. "Aw well, sorry to disappoint but it was just a little misunderstanding." He grins at me, pretty eyes twinkling.

My brain goes fuzzy for an instant. Then I see that everyone is looking at me. "What?" I ask.

"He asked you to tell us that there's nothing between you. We don't believe him," Yoongi says.

"Oh, yeah, there's nothing. We're just friends," I say. My heart flutters annoyingly when I look at Jimin, but I push the feelings down. Just friends.

"Aw, poor Chim Chim has probably forgotten how to date anyway. Remember that one time there was that pretty girl at the club and Jimin forgot his own name?" Jin windshield-wiper laughs, smacking his knee.

"Thanks, hyung," Jimin responds sarcastically.

Jin bows. "You're welcome."

"Wait, but wasn't Jimin drunk?" Namjoon asks.

Jin shrugs. "Who cares? A name forgotten is a name forgotten."

I can't help but laugh as Jimin blushes, embarrassed.

Eventually, the topic is dropped, we pack up and head back.