Chapter 16- New Opportunities

(flashback to a couple months before)

My parents and I have been having a ton of conversations about college. I'm a good student with good grades, nothing outrageously spectacular, but well enough to get into decent schools. I've applied to many UC schools, Cal states, large and small schools alike, and a few out of state as well. Keeping my options open. But I really don't know where I want to go.

One time, though, I visited the University of Colorado, and it looked amazing. It was so outdoorsy and adventurous but also studious and fun. I had a connection with it. But.... it's a thousand miles away from my home. It would mean leaving my family and friends and him.

I can't let a relationship affect my future, I know that. But every time I try to make a college pros and con list or explore my options, in my head I'm thinking, "well, how far is it from here?" It's so hard to keep him separate from my decisions.

And I know I have to tell him. I've applied to all the colleges, and now it's just the long wait. But I have to tell Jimin all the options. I owe him that much.

                                                                         *********

"I have something important I need to talk to you about," I whisper to him.

He nods, biting his lower lip, looking anxious.

"I'm not breaking up with you, silly," I laugh. "Don't worry."

Jimin laughs and nods. "Good." Then he takes my arm and starts to pull me upstairs where we can talk privately.

"Oooh," Hobi titters from his spot on the couch. "Where are you guys going?"

"Oh, nowhere," I respond lightly and then continue walking up.

"Don't make too much noise!" Tae yells. "We might end up assuming....things."

Jungkook opens his mouth in shock. "Taehyung!"

Tae laughs unapologetically and shrugs.

I pull Jimin up further, laughing. When we're safe in his room I hear a light slap followed by an "ouch" and peals of laughter. I grin too, amused at them. But I sober up when I remember what I'm here to talk about. I sit down at the spinny chair by Jimin's desk, and he sits opposite me on the bed, waiting patiently.

I hesitate for a few seconds, before shakily starting what I've waited months to reveal. "College," I say.

"College," he repeats back, clearly not understanding.

"I have already applied to a lot of colleges," I add. "But I don't know which one I'm going to yet, and I have to decide soon."

Jimin nods slowly. "Well, if you want I can help you with that. We can visit colleges and help you narrow down your choices."

"Thanks," I say, smiling. "I definitely want to do that. There's one college that I so far really like, though."

He smiles widely. "That's great! Which?"

I pause, worried. "University of Colorado Boulder."

His eyebrows crease together. "But that's-"

"I know."

A thousand miles away. 

* * * * * *

"You know, if you do go to Colorado," Jimin brings up a bit later, "We could get those cool touch lamps that light up when the other person touches it."