Chapter 12- Soon

I don't really don't want to make a big deal of prom. I don't want to get all mushy and collapse at the idea of wearing a fancy dress and walking up with a nice guy on my arm. But I can't help it. 

I am going with Jimin.

So a few days before prom I go shopping with the guys and a few of my girl friends. Eva and Sarah are much more helpful than the guys. They come into the dressing room with me, and we all try on dress after dress. The guys hang around outside, laughing and talking way too loud. Each time we step out and show off the dress, they just make exaggerated noises and applause, leaving us three girls rolling our eyes.

"Ya'll," I say. "You're supposed to give us feedback, not say that every dress is the best."

I don't think they listen, because I soon try on the ugliest grey dress as a joke, and when I walk out again, they clap just as loudly. Sarah rolls her eyes.

Then Eva finds the most gorgeous blue dress that fits her perfectly, and we cheer. "Finally!" I laugh. "Who knew dress shopping could take this long?"

As you can see, I don't wear dresses much. Or shop a lot.

Then Sarah finds a short, simple black dress, says she likes it well enough and doesn't feel like looking for more. She grins and shows the boys, who I'm pretty sure are a bit drunk. I mentally make a note that next time I go dress shopping, (once I'm 21) I'm bringing alcohol too. I'll need it to get through this again. 

It's so strange being 18. Right on the edge of being your own, individual, independent person, but also still have the feeling of being a kid. But when I try on one of the beautiful dresses, I suddenly feel much older, like I finally grew into myself.

It's an elegant red dress, long and flowy, both pretty and simple at the same time. It wraps around me tightly, showing off my (nonexistent) curves. The dress is made of a silky smooth material that seems to ripple when I move. It's the most beautiful dress I can ever ask for.

(these are some of the dresses I imagined she might wear)