19. Shallow Lake

(Y/N)

"What was your life like? "

"What? " Levi turned at the sound of my voice.

"Before you became the captain of the ship, what was your life like? "

"Tch, why do you ask? "

"Just curious."

"Shitty, hope that answers your question."

"It's fine if you don't want to talk about it." I rolled onto my back on top of his bed.

"Why don't you tell me about yours? " I heard the sound of his chair being pushed back and soon he sat next to me.

"Because it's boring, nothing interesting other than your typical whore working to make a living." I looked at him.

"But you know how to write and read, surely that's an exciting tale to tell."

"Not really, your mother taught me how to." I said without thinking and immediately regretted it.

"My mom... She knew how to write and read? Odd for someone working at a brothel."

"I don't know where she learned it from." I lied quickly. "But other than that nothing interesting. It was always a nightmare when your ship came to pay us a visit though."

"You'll get to experience it from the other side from now on."

"Yeah... " I bit my lip.

"We'll set sail for Trost tomorrow, we'll go and do our thing, you'll be staying in my room while that happens."

"Why? " I looked at him.

"Because I can tell you'll start crying from feeling guilty and I can't have that happening." he stood up.

"I'm not going to start crying." I stood up as well. "You are not the only one with blood on his hands in this room."

"There's a difference between killing to protect yourself and for your own gain." he grabbed two swords that rested on the side of the couch and held out one for me. "But if you want to watch and listen to the screams of innocents I won't stop you. Enough of that, take it. " I sighed and grabbed the sword.

"Why?"

"I'll teach you some basic moves so you can defend yourself, it's not unlikely that we'll get attacked while sailing." I nodded and raised the sword. "Seriously? " he rolled his eyes at my posture.

"I don't know how to use a sword." I glared at him and he shook his head.

He walked up to me and fixed my stance. We had a small session where he showed me some moves but I quickly grew bored, not because I didn't want to learn how to use a sword, I just didn't feel like learning now. So we stopped and sat on the small couch he had.

"Do you want to go another part of the island? " he asked and I nodded.

"Sure." I stood up with a smile and the two of us left his house.

We walked for a few short minutes until we reached the entrance of a cave. We went inside and kept walking for a few minutes. It was dark in a lot of places so I held onto Levi's hand so I wouldn't get lost but he didn't seem fazed by the lack of light. My eyes widen when we finally reached the destination he had in mind.

There was a big opening at the top of the cave allowing the orange light of the setting sun to enter the cave. There was a crystal clear lake at the bottom with a small waterfall falling from the top but it didn't make a lot of noise. I was so focused on the sight in front of me that I didn't notice Levi getting in the lake, I only noticed when he threw some water my way.

And he was naked.

"Oi, brat, will you get in already? "

"Get in? Are you stupid? "

"The water is clean, there's no fish in it either. Take off your clothes and come in."

"No I'm not! "

"I've seen you naked before, don't get all shy."

"That's not it! " is he stupid? "Anyone from your crew could come and see us! I don't need that! " since when did I start caring about who sees me naked?

"No one from my crew comes here, dove. Now get in." he rolled his eyes and I sighed.

I might as well, the water looks really nice and it's not deep, I can see Levi's legs reaching the bottom and the water is up to his chest. Reluctantly I took off my clothes and got inside as well. I immediately gasped when the water reached my belly.

"Fuck that's cold." I breathed. "Oh that's cold, I'm getting out."

"No you're not." he wrapped his arms around me and I gasped again.

"No! You're cold, let me go! " I tried to push him off but he just dragged me in with him. "Noooooooooo! " I cried when I fell in the water.

Fuck it was cold and it's not even winter!

"You'll get used to it in a few minutes."

"I-if you t-think I'll forgive you for this you are mistaken." I stuttered.

"It's fine, don't be a crybaby." I raised my hands and threw water in his direction.

"Shut up." he shrugged and went underwater.

I ignored him and sank a bit deeper into the shallow lake trying to get used to the cold. It took a while for me to get used to it but eventually I reached a point where I didn't feel my lungs hurting from the deep breaths I was taking.

"Tell me something." I heard Levi.

"Something."

"Haha." he sounded dead.

"What do you want me to tell you?" I turned back to look at him.

"Why can't you tell anything about my family? " I raised my eyebrows in surprise, I wasn't expecting him to ask that.

"I'm just telling you the things I know, I don't have all the answers." I looked at the water.

"We both know that's not true, dove." he swam up to me. "I don't want you to tell me anything now, I just want to know why you won't tell me anything."

"..." I looked in his eyes to look for any signs of murderous intend. I saw none, is he really just curious? "Well... I have my reasons." I decided to tell.

"Your reasons? " he titled his head. "So... You're not telling me things because you don't want to tell me? " oh... I get it now.

"Yeah, if you thought I wasn't telling because I promised your mom or something like that you were wrong. I think that telling you certain things will be... Bad. For everyone." a partial lie, I did make a promise to his mom but the main reason I'm not saying anything still remains my own.

But it won't hurt if he has a better imagine of his mom, she deserves it.

"... You keep getting more and more interesting, dove."

"What do you mean? "

"Nothing." he shook his head. "But one day you'll tell me."

"What makes you so sure? "

"Nothing, this is me hoping."

"... Now let me ask you something."

"What? "

"Why do you want to know about your father? Compared to your mother you seem so much more interested in him. I thought it'd be the other way around." he didn't answer me immediately, which surprised me.

He just continued to stare at the water quietly. His answer surprised me when he finally decided to speak.

"Now that I know you have information about my family and him I want to know the whole story before I do anything. But at first... I wanted to know so I could kill the bastard."

----------------------------------------

Thoughts?

-Christel.