38. The Attack

(Y/N)

My hands were shaking, my heart was beating fast and I just stared at the wall in front of me. Levi's yells outside had become nothing less than noise, I was nervous. In just a few hours we'll start the attack on Trost, Annie's ship was next to us and Levi was going over the plan one more time. I hope to everything that the bad feeling in my stomach is just me being nervous. Levi is the most capable fighter I know, I trust him. I just can't stop thinking that the worst will happen.

"(Y/N)?" I looked up at him. I didn't notice when he came into the room. Why is he using my first name? "It's not too late, you can change your mind and stay on the ship. It'll be safer here."

"I should be the one telling you that." he sat next to me. "You can always change your mind and turn the ship around, it's not too late."

"I know. " he touched my hand. "But I'm not turning this ship around. " I nodded and looked down.

"Alright. "

"You should get some sleep, we'll be leaving on the boat in three hours."

"You too." he nodded and laid down.

I placed my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I could hear his heartbeat, beating steadily. I wish for it to remain that way.

"This is not our last night together, okay?" I nodded feeling the vibration as he spoke. "Calm down. "

"I'm trying. "

"Alright. " his fingers went in my hair. "Close your eyes and try to sleep. "

I did just that. Did I actually fall asleep? No, I couldn't. Just like how he didn't fall asleep also, he just spent his time playing with my hair. None of us spoke however, we just wanted to enjoy each others company. Eventually, to my dissapointed, he stood up and I did as well. When we got outside and the three of us were ready to get on the boat I stopped seeing the girls standing in the corner. I pushed my lips together and walked up to them.

They smiled when I did.

"Hi."

"Hi, are you ready to go? " Sophia asked with a smile.

"Yes... I am. Before I do... " I took a deep breath. "I know I haven't been hanging out with you a lot, so... Stay safe so we can catch up when I come back, okay? "

"Don't worry, " Petra smiled. "We all have been busy and you hang around the captain a lot. We'll see you when you get back." I nodded and glanced at Ymir who had her arms crossed glaring at the ground.

"Ymir? "

"Make sure Christa stays safe." she glared at me and I nodded. Most people would be offended but I know she is only worried. "And you too." she added.

"I will. " I turned around and Eren with Connie helped me get down on the side of the ship and in the boat.

Levi and Historia were already inside waiting for me. To everyone's surprise Zeke landed on my shoulder before we left.

"Zeke? " Eren reached down. "Come back!"

"Ah-ah-ah! " Zeke yelled back at him and he sighed.

"Keep him safe (Y/N)." Eren looked at me.

"How many people do I need to keep safe? " I rolled my eyes and we started moving going away from the ship.

-

"What is going on? " I asked Levi who was next to me glaring ahead of him.

"Tch, they were expecting the attack." he shook his head and another cannon went off. "This is bad." the attack wasn't supposed to start until sundown but the sun is still up and both ships were forced to come out by cannon fire.