Chapter 16

Loki and Thor explained to the rest of the team that their mother was very knowledgeable in magic. Thor offered to travel to Asgard to escort Queen Frigga to Earth. After a plan was made everyone left except for Loki. He watched intently as Y/N interacted with her illusion of him. He doesn't remember a time where he had ever seen her so happy.
He would see how intimately her and the illusion would look each other in the eyes and the soft kisses they shared. He would be lying if he said he didn't wish it was him instead. He's been so starved of emotional intimacy all his life and there was giving it to a version of him from her mind. In reality it was him. His past with her. She made him that happy and she was reliving their shared moments. He couldn't help but appreciate the tenderness he witnessed her give to his ghost.

It's taking everything in his power to keep himself from going into the cell and comforting the woman who obviously needs him. He may not remember her that much but he wants what she was willing to give. He felt stupid for not trying to pick up where they left off. He watched through the window as his ghost slept and she slowly creeps away from him to sit on the floor against the wall.
"Why are you over there," he opens up the intercom and asks her quietly. She jumps, startled by the voice filling the room. His voice. She looks over to Loki's illusion she created, seeing he was still asleep. She snapped her eyes to what she thought was a mirror and slowly gets up to move closer. "Loki," you whisper.
"Yes darling it's me," he says calmly with a small smile. "D-did you remember?," she asks. He pauses, "no but I want to." Her eyes prick with little tears. "I tried," she gets out trying to hold back a sob. "Shh don't do that," he projects his own illusion into her cell making her stumble back.
"You can't touch me because I'm an illusion but I think you deserve to see me. The real me," he states. "But he's an illusion," you points to the Loki sleeping. "I know that. Your abilities are stronger than what we expected. Illusions shouldn't be able to be touched however your illusion you project of me has no reaction to touch. Thor is having mother come for a visit and see if she can explain," he states. There's a small pause, "And if you're willing, I want to see if she can help me....I know I haven't been the most considerate lately bringing that woman around," he says in disgust. "If she is able to help my memory will you have me again?," he asks. You don't know what to say. This is what you've been waiting for since Loki said he didn't feel the same.
All you can think about was him and that woman. The Loki sleeping peacefully in your room could never do that to you.

"But he's not me," he spoke and broke your train of thought. "It doesn't matter. You still hurt me whether it was intentional or not," you point to Loki illusion, "that Loki, never did anything to hurt me like that whether he knew me or not. That Loki helped me grow into a master of magic, and subsequently into a more powerful woman. All before he cared for me romantically...I would so much rather have a ghost of him than someone who doesn't treat me the way I deserve...even if he is a figment of my imagination." You finish and touch the illusion Loki projected and he disappears. You crawl up next to the ghost of your Loki and think to yourself. How long can I keep this up?
You hear your Loki hum, "is that fool outside bothering you dear?" You smile, "no I'm just confused," you calmly say as your draw patterns on his leather clad chest. "About what?" He asks.

"Well I'm sure you're smart enough to know that you're an illusion of Loki I projected out myself," he grips his chest in mock shock. "So I'm not real," he laughs. "Well you're real to me is the thing, but what happens if I can't keep up the illusion anymore. Are you just going to disappear?," you state, more than question. Your Loki illusion sits up and puts an arm around your shoulders, "being that I come from the memories of the real Loki, and I come from you, I can only assume that once you can't hold the illusion, I will still be here with you in your heart. It sounds cheesy but you made me. I can physically go away but this version of me will live on within you." You're surprised at the answer he gives you. He's so sentient. "I don't want to lose you again. I miss your touch and I know that there's never a guarantee things will ever be the same or civil between the real Loki and I. He said he can try and have someone heal his mind but I already tried i don't know what else there is to do."
"Have faith," he says plainly. You nod your head and lay back down and drift off into a peaceful sleep and come to terms with the fact you'll have to give up your illusion one day.