43

I should have said no

I should have said no. I should have been much stronger and told him to go, but I couldn't. Because where Lucas was concerned, I wasn't strong, not even a little bit. All it took was one touch, one kiss and I dissolved. Pathetic much?

I turned to look at the clothes splayed out on the bed. There was even some hanging on the chair, dresser, and headboard. This was not a date, so why the hell was I so indecisive? I had only said yes because I thought both Lucas and I had things to get off our chest.

I groaned and flopped back down on the bed. Who was I kidding?

A knock sounded at the door a few seconds before Chloe cautiously stuck her head in the room. Her eyes roamed the chaos of the bedroom before settling on me. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Oh, you know, just my impending mental meltdown," I responded before rolling onto my stomach. "Tell me, is it too late to flee the country?"

Chloe laughed and stepped into the room, closing the door behind her. "Then why did you say yes?"

"I see torture as a form of fourplay," I deadpan before my mouth twitched. Seconds later both Chloe and I burst out laughing.

Tears pooled in my eyes. As the laughter settled my emotions built in my chest. Chloe took notice instantly and gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "I know it might not seem like it now, but it's all going to be okay," she said as her eyes drifted to the strewn clothes on the bed then she plucked out a yellow and white sundress that I'd already ruled out. "I might not be able to help you with much but wear this."

The dress in question was about two inches from the knee, the bottom flared out with the top cinched around the chest. Two thin straps spanned across the shoulders and wrapped in an x pattern across the back. In other words, a date dress. This was not a date!

Then again, if I was going to face Lucas, I wanted to look my best, not a nervous wreck fiddling with her clothes. Yeah, let's go with that excuse. I took longer than usual getting ready for my 'not date' date. 

By four in the afternoon my bravado had faded to a low hum of trepidation. Michael was out, thank all that is holy, and surprisingly, so was Chloe. To be honest, I hadn't seen anyone lately.