14

Katelyn was sitting by the poolside with her feet dangling in the water

Katelyn was sitting by the poolside with her feet dangling in the water. Brown waves cascaded down her shoulders all the way down to her narrow waist. I never knew how long her hair was, she usually had it pulled up in a ponytail or what one would consider a birds nest. She wore nothing but a baggy T-shirt and shorts and I still thought she was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

My mind drifted back to this afternoon, the look in her eyes when she told be to leave, the ice in her tone. In one swift motion Katelyn had shut me out. Maybe that was for the best because in the moments her guard fell mine crumbled as well. There was no point in denying my attraction for her but I couldn't fall into this with her. She was supposed to be my client, just another job but for some reason I couldn't seem to convince myself of that.

Katelyn's gaze shifted towards the window and I could see her squinting in the darkness before she got up and walked back to the cottage. For the next two days I did everything to stay away from her. In the morning I would be out before the sun even broke over the horizon and at night, I would be home after dinner.

--------

I walked into the dark house on Friday night to mom waiting for me in the foyer, "Mind telling me why you try to spend as little time at home as possible?"

"I'm just really busy, mom."

"Oh don't give me that bull! I know you better than anyone and if you think I haven't noticed what ever is going on between you and Katelyn you are surely misguided."

I rubbed the spot between my eyes, trying to stave off the growing headache there, "There is nothing going on between me and Katelyn."

Mom's lips quirked up, "Yeah sure, deny it then. Sometimes I wonder if Liam is smarter than you. Even he sees it! Whatever it is just keep in mind that girl has been through a lot."

I frowned, "Did she speak to you? Because right now it sounds like you know something I don't."

"Because it's not my place to say. If she wants to tell you she will. Just let her be apart of the build, she needs it more than you'll ever know."