9

The door was the unmovable object, or in my mind the door that led straight to my doom

The door was the unmovable object, or in my mind the door that led straight to my doom. That's a tad bit over-dramatic but with my growing attraction towards Lucas, I was treading dangerous and unknown waters. The best and rational course of action would be to avoid him but how was I supposed to do that if he was everywhere? I couldn't even close my eyes to sleep without him invading my dreams.

I walked past the pool and into the kitchen and the smell of a home cooked meal assaulted my senses. Monica was pulling a roast from the oven and juicy smell of cooked meat hung think in the air and made my mouth water.

Monica turned around and as soon as she saw me a smile split her face, "Hi, honey the food will be ready any second now."

"It smells amazing in here." I said honestly.

"Let me show you to the dining room."

Monica laced her arm through mine and guided me through a hallway to a decadent dining room. A chandelier of golden lights hung in the middle of the table and bounced off the silverware Lucas was there talking to Liam and another man. A woman sat on the right side of the table with a little girl bouncing close by. Lucas was the first to notice me and for some reason I felt the heat of his gaze flush my cheeks.

Liam followed Lucas' gaze, "Katelyn! Welcome to the land of the living."

I gave small smile and walked over to them, "Yeah it's been a long day, I'm not entirely sure if I'm alive."

"Well let me introduce you to Layton Thomas," Liam waved his hand to the man standing next to Lucas, "Grouchy pants number two."

I sputtered and tried to hide my laugh behind a cough and even Lucas looked like he was about to crack a smile. The man had piercing green eyes and ash blond hair. Stong features adorned his face and he has a small scar next to his left eyebrow. Why did all the men in this town have to be attractive or was there something in the water?

"As classy as ever, Liam. Don't listen to him, I'm quite friendly he just tends to get on people's bad side."

Liam guffawed, "I do not!"