41

The sound of machines beeping and buzzing stirred me from my sleep

The sound of machines beeping and buzzing stirred me from my sleep. My mouth felt like it was stuffed with cotton. I glared at the offending needle stuck in my arm fighting the urge to rip it out and make a run for it.

"I see you're finally awake."

I glanced over to the chair next to the window and saw Macy sitting there. My body froze over and I wondered for a minute if I was still asleep. "What are you doing here?"

"I read her letter." Tears filled Macy's eyes and she ripped her gaze from mine.

A lump rose in my throat nearly choking me but I closed my eyes and leveled my breathing. My chest burned and my ribs screamed in agony but my heart felt like it was breaking all over again.

"So, you know then."

"I do. I'm so sorry I never gave you the chance to explain."

I swallowed and glanced back at Macy. "How did you even know I was here?"

"Your friend came by today. Told me about the accident." 

A bit back the nasty comment I wanted to make. "So, you're here because of some misplaced guilt?" Macy lifted her eyes to mine and I knew what this visit was about. "Unbelievable. No one had anything to do with the accident! It was exactly that. An accident and I don't need your pity or guilt."

"That's not the only reason I came, Katelyn. I read Arlene's letter. She wanted me to talk to you."

Anger bubbled in my veins and my heart pounded in my chest sending spikes of pain into my ribs. "You didn't care about what she wanted yesterday!"

"Yesterday I didn't know my sister was dead." Macy shot back and I flinched. "I'm sorry. I don't know how to do this. Arlene and I haven't spoken in years and I never thought..."

"You never thought you wouldn't have a chance." I finish for her because even though I'm angry I can see how hard this is for her.

She didn't have to come here and apologize but she did. And I also learned something from both Macy and my mom. If you let anger drive you away from the people you love, you live a life with only regrets. I don't want that.