4

Lucas was standing so close to me that breathing was next to impossible, his scent clouded my judgment and reason seem to fly out the back door

Lucas was standing so close to me that breathing was next to impossible, his scent clouded my judgment and reason seem to fly out the back door. His blue eyes penetrated mine and my challenge hung heavy in the air between us. His eyes told me that he had accepted my challenge and even if I was not sure about the details, I tell this wasn't going to be an easy task.

I raised my eyebrows, "You came here to give me the estimation for the rebuild?"

I had meant for it to sound like a question but that's how it sounded and the smirk on his lips told me he knew my game all too well. Lucas seemed to entertain my not so subtle change in the subject by handing me a brown envelope he held at his side. How had I not seen that before?

Lucas gestured to the front door and I walked in with him close at my heels. My pulse was rippling with tension, whatever it was expecting, I had no idea. After Lucas shut the front door I slipped the paper out of the envelope and nearly lost my jaw at the final estimate.

It wasn't so much a question of being able to afford it, I just hadn't realized that this project would dent my savings as much. My whole college and everything included had been paid for, not to mention the handsome sum left for me in my trust fund. Although, the trust fund was as of yet off-limits. My savings would be enough to cover everything but I would have to stick within the set budget.

I aimlessly wandered to the living room and settled down on the single couch left standing after my sorting process.

Lucas cleared his throat, "Told you it was going to be a lot. Do you still want to move ahead with the project?"

The slight hopeful delight in his voice annoyed me to no end. He wanted me to say no and just give up, well he had another thing coming. My savings have always been there for emergencies and although I doubt this qualifies as one, I was happy to stick my hand into the piggy bank just to wipe that smug look off his face.

"Yes. I might have been shocked at first but given everything that needs to be done, this seems quite reasonable." I said nonchalantly.