31

The drive back home was quiet, Katelyn stared out the window as the trees passed by in a blur

The drive back home was quiet, Katelyn stared out the window as the trees passed by in a blur. I knew Liam's words wedged a gap between us and I felt Katelyn shut herself off. That in itself was all I needed to know. I was going to hurt her if this went on and the right thing would be to walk away.

I've seen first-hand what love does to people. My mom was a wreck after my dad died, locking herself up for days at a time after his death. Jackson had it damn hard with Olivia before they found any happiness and I had to watch my brother crumble and almost lose everything. Then there was Layton, who still to this day isn't the same after Megan. No, love wasn't the happy-ever-after people thought. It came at a high price every time.

It was something I swore myself off a long time ago, something I couldn't promise Katelyn. But I could see in her eyes it's something she wanted, maybe even needed.

Katelyn kept quiet beside me, the void stretching between us. I was left feeling like I should let it. I wanted to hold her hand, give her some assurance but my hands stayed glued to the steering wheel and my eyes forward.

We pulled into the driveway just as mom walked out of the house. When I hopped out of the truck mom was there, throwing her arms around me. "How was the trip?"

"It was good." I scratched my head and looked to Katelyn as she hopped out of the truck, "I have a few sites I need to check on after we pack out the truck."

Mom frowned a look that mirrored Katelyn's but I had to get some distance between us. I wasn't lying, exactly, I could check the sites tomorrow but with Katelyn's feeling clouding my own I needed some distance from her.

After the camping gear was packed out of my truck I hopped in and drove off without a word. My mind, however, stayed on Katelyn. Those storm cloud eyes that seem to see straight through to my soul.

I checked a total of three sites trying my damnedest to keep my focus on the project. It didn't work, I kept fighting the urge to run home to Katelyn.