39

Bright light streamed in through my cracked lids and I flinched

Bright light streamed in through my cracked lids and I flinched. Pain burned in my chest like wild fire, forcing me to take shallow breaths. My eyes fluttered open and for a minute, I had no idea where I was.

"Oh, Miss. Davis, you're awake. I'll call your doctor for you but first some questions." A woman in blue scrubs said.

My eyes flicked to her before dropping to the drip needle stuck in my arm. I started to retch but the nurse was faster, she held a bucket in front of my faca as my stomach heaved up all of it's contents. My ribs screamed in agony and tears stung my eyes. When it was finaly over, I dropped back into the pillows.

"Well, at least I can scratch nausea off the list," she said still holding my puke bucket. After she put the bucket on a small table she grabbed a clipboard, scribbled a few things down and turned back to me. "I did all your checks. Are you feeling any pain right now?"

Was she being for real?

Everything hurt like a bitch but I couldn't find the words to respond, so I just nodded my head.

She clicked her pen and wrote down my answer. "Okay, that's it. The doctor will be with you shortly."

Then, as quickly as she got the puke bucket in my face, she flounced out of the room. The bathroom door quietly opened and I frowned before Lucas poked his head out. "Thank god!" Then he looked back to me. "I thought she'd never leave."

Okay, this has to be a joke.

Lucas walked to my bedside and cupped my cheek. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit. What happened?" I croaked out.

Lucas sat down in the chair next to my bed and gently took my hand. "You were in an accident."

Memories came flooding back. The shattering glass, the sound of bending metal and snapping branches flicked through my head. And Macy, crumbling the last words of my mom.

My throat grew thick and I choked back a sob. Lucas immediately reached for the pitcher of water and glass on the bedside table. He filled the glass and held it out to me.